1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Right. I think I'd rather it was Maine. At least those fans show up, and I wouldn't have to deal with BC fans pretending they give a shit about hockey all of a sudden. Though as Zeke says, whoever comes out of Chestnut Hill CC-NoDak is the winner.

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

North Dakota wins it all.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'll root for Maine, simply because of its underdog status. I heart upsets.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I see a UND -- Maine final.

The only way Maine wins is if Bishop stands on his head and Lamoreux has a bad game. This is not outside the realm of possibility, mind you.

Anyone who wants to beat them will have to find a way to slow down the Toews/Oshie line. They were simply dominant against Michigan and Minnesota, two teams with as much talent as any in the field. That line just rose above.

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

That line was strong last night. Minnesota had nothing for them.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mix -- Neither did Michigan. And the matched up their Johnson against them, just like the Gophers did.

Long story short: There isn't a d-pairing in the country that's going to stop them. Someone better put their best checking line against them and effectively shadow the whole line. Just forget about offense when they're on the ice.

They're both gone, BTW. As is Erik Johnson from Minnesota, and possibly Wheeler. I'm hoping Okposo stays another year.

7. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Johnson should stay. He doesn't look like he's ready, at least to me. Wheeler, you see flashes, and he's playing the body more, but another year wouldn't hurt him either. Money talks...

Did you see the article in the Strib a couple of weeks ago about the "Advisors" the players have from about age 14 on?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Didn't see the Strib article. Will look for it.

There's no way to print it, but my sources tell me Oshie and Erik Johnson both stopped going to classes. That's a pretty good indicator -- though guys have done that, blanket dropped their schedule and pulled serious summer school to come back.

They Gone!

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Gotta get the money. Can't blame anyone for that. The Hoeffel kid who was due to come in from Juniors hurt his knee I heard. Not that he is on their level, but things happen. If the money is there, take it.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Toews is ready right now, IMHO. Oshie will need a year or two, but the kid can put the puck in the net, and that will keep him paid.

I think Johnson would benefit from another year in Minnesota. That said, the money will be WAY to much for him to pass up.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

First game is about to come on, UMaine-Michigan State. I'm rooting for the small, rural states today.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And the first game is over. 2-0 Maine.

Sparty will not come back from this.

Draft saved Draft deleted