1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine wants to go to the Frozen Four Championship Game. I told him that if he came out (from Maine), I'd meet him.

Any guesses what it would cost to scalp tickets at the last minute?

Alternately, does anyone have a lead on a couple of tickets?

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

Stubhub. NCAA sells packs for the whole weekend.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We'll only go for the final game, so we don't want to buy a package.

I figure fans of the teams that lose in the semis will be looking to sell their tickets, but I'm not sure how strong the local market will be.

Tried to scalp years ago in Boston when B.C. was in the final against Michigan. We had a big group and tickets were tough to find, so we all watched from a bar.

I went to the final game in Albany when B.C. beat North Dakota in overtime, but I had tickets in advance, so I don't remember what the scalper market was.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Damn, that's going to be an absolutely brutally difficult conference to play in. It will have the No. 1- Michigan, 4- Wisconsin, 5- Minnesota (tie) and 8- Michigan State (tie) teams in terms of hockey championships.

Be interesting to see if any of the other Big 10 teams decide to start programs. Illinois, Indiana & Iowa all have club programs.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So does Purdue...if they would lay off the sauce...the team was suspended for drinking violations in 2009.

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

Didn't Michigan schools leave WCHA because they were tired of getting throttled by Badger Bob's Wisconsin and Herb's Gophers?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Travel too. They left in the early 80s in a sour economy. Plus, Michigan Tech and Notre Dame left at the same time; Tech was the only one that went back.

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

Date Time (ET) Game Network
    Sun, March 21 11:30 a.m. 2011 NCAA Division I Men’s Hockey Selection Show ESPN2/ESPN2 HD
    Fri, March 25 3 p.m. East Region: Semifinal 1(Bridgeport, Conn.) ESPNU/ESPNU HD/ESPN3.com
    5:30 p.m. West Region: Semifinal 1(St. Louis, Mo.) ESPN3.com (Live)
    ESPNU/ESPNU HD (tape delayed at 11:30 p.m.)
    6:30 p.m. East Region: Semifinal 2(Bridgeport, Conn.) ESPNU/ESPNU HD/ESPN3.com
    9 p.m. West Region: Semifinal 2(St. Louis, Mo.) ESPNU/ESPNU HD/ESPN3.com
    Sat, March 26 1:30 p.m. Midwest Region: Semifinal 1(Green Bay, Wis.) ESPN3.com (live)
    ESPNU/ESPNU HD
    (tape delayed on 3/27 at 12:30 p.m.)
    4 p.m. Northeast Region: Semifinal 1(Manchester, N.H.) ESPNU/ESPNU HD/ESPN3.com /ESPN Mobile TV
    5 p.m. Midwest Region: Semifinal 2(Green Bay, Wis.) ESPN3.com (live)
    ESPNU/ESPNU HD (tape delayed on 3/27 at 3 p.m.)
    6:30 p.m. East Region: Final
    (Bridgeport, Conn.) ESPNU/ESPNU HD/ESPN3.com
    7:30 p.m. Northeast Region: Semifinal 2(Manchester, N.H.) ESPN3.com (Live)
    ESPNU/ESPNU HD (tape delayed at 11:30 p.m.)
    9 p.m. West Region: Final 1
    (St. Louis, Mo.) ESPNU/ESPNU HD/ESPN3.com
    Sun, March 27 5:30 p.m. Midwest Region: Final
    (Green Bay, Wis.) ESPNU/ESPNU HD/ESPN3.com
    8 p.m. Northeast Region: Final
    (Manchester, N.H.) ESPNU/ESPNU HD/ESPN3.com
    Thu, April 7 5 p.m. Frozen Four: Semifinal 1
    (St. Paul, Minn.) ESPN2/ESPN2 HD/ESPN3.com / ESPN Mobile TV
    8:30 p.m. Frozen Four: Semifinal 2
    (St. Paul, Minn.) ESPN2/ESPN2 HD/ESPN3.com/ESPN Mobile TV
    Fri, April 8 7 p.m. Hobey Baker Memorial Award Presentation ESPNU/ESPNU HD
    Sat, April 9 7 p.m. Frozen Four: Final
    (St. Paul, Minn.) ESPN/ESPN HD/ESPN3.com/ESPN Mobile TV

9. KP

KP Active Member

Merrimack to play for its first Hockey East crown tomorrow against BC. 4-1 win over UNH while BC held off Northeastern 5-4.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Title IX would likely prevent this, as nobody is adding men's sports unless they have a budget sustained by average football attendance of 100K+ every week. Indiana's club program has really improved, moved up to ACHA D1 recently, but there is no suitable ice anywhere near Bloomington and IU has no interest in adding another varsity sport. Can't speak for Illinois or Iowa, but both have solid club programs. Purdue -- there's no rink within 60 miles of Lafayette, and their club team is somewhere between bad and awful.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure there is an indoor ice sheet in Iowa City. I think they have to play in Cedar Rapids.

Even though I threw it out there, I think the only way another Big 10 school adds men's hockey is if it adds women's hockey as well.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Merrimack will play BC in Hockey East Final.

Draft saved Draft deleted