1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's been forever since this was alive, but might as well bring it back.

Tournament seeds are out.

East (Providence)
    No. 1 Quinnipiac vs. No. 4 Canisius
    No. 2 Boston College vs. No. 3 Union

Midwest (Toledo)
    No. 1 Notre Dame vs. No. 4 St. Cloud St.
    No. 2 Miami vs. No. 3 Minnesota State

Northeast (Manchester)
    No. 1 UMass-Lowell vs. No. 4 Wisconsin
    No. 2 New Hampshire vs. No. 3 Denver

West (Grand Rapids)
    No. 1 Minnesota vs. No. 4 Yale
    No. 2 North Dakota vs. No. 3 Niagara

More: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9094057/quinnipiac-bobcats-overall-no-1-seed-ncaa-hockey-tournament

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'll take BC, ND, UW and (flip a coin with UND) UM in Pitt.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And in case anyone missed it, Jack Parker stepped down at BU.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens-hockey/2013/03/23/garrett-noonan-key-for-hockey-east-semifinals/9RBmTb3I1h39Bhmu75F5DP/story.html

4. spikechiquet

The Road to the Frozen 4 has begun...great first game with Minny/Yale so far.
    Gophers couldn't do anything right the first 2 periods, tied it up late and 2 minutes to go now. Love this tournament!

5. spikechiquet

Two 4s, Two 1s. Crazy.

Here's my take on the Toledo regional:
    "Nice to see some NCAA regional hockey in my backyard this weekend. Too bad the marketing machine of Bowling Green and the Huntington Center weren't up to snuff to get butts in the seats. Yes, it's a holiday weekend and yes the "local" team was from 3 hours away (Miami U), but when you have a "name" school like Notre Dame in the tourney AND lots of fans/alumni in the area and you only get to 40% capacity in a 7,400-seat arena, plus the minor league pro team did nothing to entice their fans to go...the blame lies with the promoters, not the fans."

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

RIP CCHA

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The quality of play in the NCAAs probably surpasses that in the ECHL, so last thing they want to do is promote a competing product.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

George Gwozdecky resigns after 19 seasons and two national titles at Denver.

http://www.denverpost.com/du/ci_22916338/george-gwozdecky-resigns-du-hockey-coach-after-19

9. spikechiquet

It's still their building and their concessions, etc. to sell. Plus, it's a one-weekend event. Not really a competing product per se. Now I can see them not wanting to promote BG hockey the whole weekend since it does compete with them during the season on Friday/Sat. nights.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As someone who remembers when he played in college, I feel older.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, school says he resigned. But apparently he was fired.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Opinions: Is Denver considered one of the heritage jobs in college hockey? (along with BC, BU, ND, Michigan and Wisconsin)?
    Had great seats for Sunday's East Region - damn, did Matthew Peca put on a show. Pure hat trick (two unassisted) in the first 13 minutes. Quinnipiac's for real.
    Wondering if Rand Pecknold (QU) or Nate Leaman (built Union, now at Providence) gets a look for heritage jobs. I can think of two more in the near future, if not this year: Michigan (Red Berenson's getting up there) and BC (now that Jerry York has a recurring issue with two detached retina surgeries in three months).

Draft saved Draft deleted