1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

JR, not to be all U.S. Chauvinist, but you'd get a decent game if you put the U.S. National Champion up against at least the OHL champ, but probably the Memorial Cup champ. However, a U.S. vs. Canada college matchup would be woefully lopsided in favor of the Yanks. Woefully.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed...

And Mert, it would be more balanced if you let the Canadians who play for US colleges play for Canada..

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Well, yes, but then it wouldn't really be a "Top U.S. College vs. Top Canadian College" game, would it?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why would that be? There was an exhibition game a number of years ago at the Air Canada Centre--a collection of U.S. college all-stars versus Canadian college all stars. Canadians won. Now, I can't remember if it were all the best players that were on each team but there was not a huge gap in talent.

I mean, you may be right--I honestly don't know but there's almost as many undrafted players on U.S college teams as on Canadian ones.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I think it's an interesting debate as to how a CIS all-star team would do against an NCAA all-star team.

I think the main reason a CIS team would have a shot is the age of the players. The top CIS players are likely at least 20 years old, possibly as old as 24, and therefore slightly mature, at least physically. That's because they've usually graduated from junior and then moved to the CIS at age 20. On the other hand, it's obviously not the cream of the junior crop that moves the CIS in the first place as the cream of the crop generally moves on to the pros.

The NCAA all-stars would have more top-flight pro prospects (as the CIS generally has none) but they'd also be slightly younger.

I don't remember the all-star game at the ACC that JR's describing, but I'd like to see who was on both teams.

I'd be interested to see Fly's take on this.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sea, I believe the game was in '99.

I think I may still have the program kicking around but the only player whose name I can remember was Bubba Berenzweig who played for Michigan, was drafted by the Islanders and traded, naturally, to Nashville where only they could love a hockey player named "Bubba".

I think the age factor shouldn't be overlooked. Four years age difference at that age is pretty significant.

Plus most of the Canadian guys have gone through the grind of a junior hockey career and know that when all else fails, run the opposition out of the rink. :)

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

BU just whipped Northeastern 4-0 to make the Beanpot finals. Shocking, I know.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I wonder if BC will beat Harvard...[/dripping with sarcasm]

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Saw part of that game.
    I'd be interested in the shots on goal. NU looked pretty outmatched.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Harvard took a quick lead, but couldn't protect it. BC wins 3-1 (one with an empty net) and advances to play BU in the Beanpot finals. What a shock.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, when's the final? They've been showing the tournament up here on Leafs TV.

Weird thing about college hockey (here and there)--they wear full face shields. Kinda like watching a Bantam hockey game.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Final is next Monday night. Early game will be Havard-Northeastern; late game is BC-BU for the 'Pot. Great atmosphere for those games. The BC and BU student sections spend the entire night chanting at each other.

Draft saved Draft deleted