1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Lee Enterprises thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Don’t assume Lee was smart enough to take that into account.

Tarheel316 and FileNotFound like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Are they extending all subscriptions? I remember when SI tried this malarky going to twice a month - it still resulted in a net loss of pages per month. In theory, three days a week could work - better and more in-depth city council coverage, focus on more "what matters" than "what happened" (don't know how many stories I covered because we had a hole in A1 or C1 and needed something with art, whether it was worthy of coverage or not).
    But I know this is just another way for newspaper companies to cheap out, they'll still say they are "digital first" etc. Might as well send it through the mail, papers are too light these days to "thud" on the doorstep anymore.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

These papers don’t cover councils now. They won’t in the future. They’ve decided that, business wise, process stories aren’t good for the bottom line. So much for being a civic steward and pillar of the community and all that.

They all say they’ll bring you more “enterprise reporting.” What they mean is maybe one meaty story per print issue and a bunch of clickbait on the website. And many of those enterprise stories come from interacting with future sources at places like council meetings.

Liut and I Should Coco like this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Or they could have chosen Tues-Thurs-Sat because of the Post Office not delivering mail on Sundays.

Are Helena, Butte and Billings three days a week yet? If not, it’s only a matter of time.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Having gone through this reduction in print days at our shop last year, I can say we do try for beefy “enterprise” pieces with extensive art for Sunday A1 each week — but that should be true however many days a week you have a print edition.

The main difference I’ve noticed isn’t more enterprise reporting, but more juggling and scheming which stories need to appear in print editions rather than eEditions because “they’re important to our print (age 70+) audience.”

PaperDoll, wicked and Liut like this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Beth Dutton is not gonna like it.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. Situation

Situation Member

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I basically assume anything any official from Lee Enterprises tells me is a lie. Kind of like Trump or McCarthy or DiSantis.

I get the digital edition of the Buffalo News every day and yes, the design is now the standard Lee Enterprises modular layout.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What’s Mowbray’s cut?

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Designing for a studio doesn't mean you can't put in a little effort.

PaperDoll likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do find Lee "interesting" if only because its always been "Lee" - no hedge fund or bottom-feeders to blame on turning a formerly proud newspaper company into a shadow of its former self.

Draft saved Draft deleted