1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MCU thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Fantastic Four will add life to this, and don’t overlook Black Panther being eliminated unexpectedly. They lost a lot of juice right there.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It seemed clear they were counting on Chadwick Boseman to be one of the actors to carry the franchise forward. Of course, his loss hurts for so many other reasons, but it was also a crushing blow for the MCU.

I'm not sure how much help the FF will be. X-Men brings a much bigger audience.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

My take on the MCU struggles as someone who didn’t really read the comic books.

I knew nothing about Iron Man. I think I went to see the first movie because it got good buzz and I didn’t have anything better to do. And it was a fantastic movie, regardless of prior knowledge.

I knew and liked the Hulk, Captain America and especially Spider-Man. And all those stand alone and Avengers movies were sharp and fun.

And the close of that arc with Infinity War and End Game was SO big and so well done. And seemed like such a high, perfect end.

It’s not that the characters and stories in the new wave are particularly bad or anything. But they just seem sort of inconsequential after all that. And, yes, I do know all superhero popcorn flicks are the definition of inconsequential.

I like some of the stuff in the new era. It’s just not appointment viewing for me now. Maybe Marvel is just the victim of its own massive success for me at this point.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Anya Taylor-Joy as the Silver Surfer? Sounds good if it's real.

TigerVols likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. outofplace

I saw that a little earlier. They should recast the role. I hope the rumors of having him replaced by Dr. Doom as the big bad aren't true. They just don't have time to set him up properly before the next Avengers movie. I would hate to see them follow Fox's lead and screw up Doom.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If this was a NFL season, Marvel has had Joe Montana pass away and Ronnie Lott get arrested for felony assault.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Not to diminish Boseman's death, but that was 3+ years ago. It is crazy that they've churned out 10 movies and 12 seasons (roughly 60 to 96 episodes) of television in that time frame, though.

9. outofplace

They seem to think that was their big mistake and I agree. Don't get me wrong. Losing Boseman was devastating. Firing Majors is also damaging. Neither of those hurt as much as trying to make to much content and screwing much of it up. Secret Invasion is the big reason I don't want them to rush Dr. Doom into Kang's place. They wasted a fantastic storyline. That was bad enough, but wasting arguably the best villain in Marvel Comics would be a lot worse. I'm still annoyed by what Fox did with him.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. outofplace

Just finished the second episode of the second season of What If? I thought the first two episodes were fun, but I'm waiting on bigger shoes to drop. For those who don't know, Disney+ is dropping a new episode a day for nine days.

spikechiquet likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

NINE DAYS?!

upload_2023-12-26_9-51-29.jpeg

12. outofplace

Five episodes in and we're finally getting somewhere.

spikechiquet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted