1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MCU thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Dec 11, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Every X-Man fan from the '90s knows the theme music. I knew nothing about the X-Men before I watched the series, so I didn't question including Jubilee for any reason other than finding her really annoying. Kitty Pryde would have been much better, even the somewhat annoying teenage version of her. (Yes, there is a pseudo-pilot out there from that same time that wasn't picked up that had Pryde in a similar role.)

I get why they chose this series to revive. It had a huge following. As I mentioned, I have my own nostalgic connection to it even though the more-recent Wolverine and the X-Men was a better show.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Ha, for real? I remember thinking that she was a big deal, then finding out later that she was mostly an insertion for the animated series. Then again, she's important in early episodes before being phased out for the more established regulars.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was reading X-Men during its early 90s heyday and she was a pretty prominent character. She was kind of an updated version of Kitty Pryde, often used as Wolverine's annoying sidekick, but she wasn't an obscure character at all.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. outofplace

I just finished the third episode of X-Men '97, which dropped today. I thought the first two were excellent, doing a great job of capturing the characterization, theme, and spirit of the original series. The third one is good, too, but it feels rushed. The story it tells felt like it should have been more than one episode.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Marvel retcons everything:

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

https://deadline.com/2024/04/disney-proxy-fight-bob-iger-nelson-peltz-reactions-1235875092/

Pretty huge win for Iger. NPR's Today Explained did a deep dive on it. I have no doubt investors are disappointed in the movie results - but they had to realize the results Pixar and Marvel weren't going to happen year after year and the Marvel franchise couldn't keep going the way it was - but the rest of the company seems to be doing ok. Found it interesting that Disney is one of the rare huge companies that has been around forever and always been "Disney" - no merger of equals, no sale where an outside group keeps the name Disney. I think something really would have been lost if Peltz gained some power. That his fight was fueled by the former Marvel guy - who only had control over a small (but significant) portion of the company, would have really changed what Disney was about.

7. outofplace

Just finished the new episode of X-Men '97. The show is very, very good. I read the storylines they are borrowing from for this. I didn't think they would go there.

8. outofplace

That object at the end looks familiar.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Genoshan Genocide (16 million dead) happened off-panel in New X-Men. What they did in the TV series felt like we traded in Saturday morning cartoons for Akira.

10. outofplace

They are certainly taking advantage of the streaming format. You aren't wrong.

That was brutal in the comics, but it didn't feel as personal as what they just did on the show. I don't think Magneto is even dead and I'm sure they could use Cable to do some time travel shenanigans, but part of me hopes they don't and let Gambit's death stick. I say this as a fan of the character and the relationship with Rogue. Supposedly, there is an even bigger gut punch coming later in the season.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

That. Was. Nuts.

12. outofplace

That is an interesting version of Wolverine. I'm concerned that the ceiling for this is stupid fun rather than something good.

Draft saved Draft deleted