1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Week XVI thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 21, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is an iron-clad lock.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

A North Dallas Forty-type ending.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son disagrees with me. Thinks it was snapper's fault.
    So I'm going to beat his ass.
    Because I'm right.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Beer. All. Over. The. Screen.

5. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Anyone know the answer to this? If the Jets lose tomorrow night, how do the Broncos not clinch a playoff spot? The NFL says they don't...but I don't understand why not.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Perhaps it has to do with all those other 8-7 teams (particularly K.C.) ... if Denver loses they are 9-7; not sure all the tiebreakers with the potential 9-7 teams.

7. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Well, Denver would lose a tiebreaker to KC on division record. So that's one spot.

But there would also be another, final spot -- and Denver has a better AFC record than any of the other teams. Therefore, wouldn't they be in?

8. urgrad04

urgrad04 Member

ESPN says the Giants are currently the No. 6 seed because of a better record versus common opponents. But the common opponents are Philly, Seattle, New Orleans and Chicago. With a Packers win over the Bears, both teams would be 1-4 against common opponents. In that case the teams would go to the next tiebreaker -- strength of victory.

The Giants opponents in their victories currently have won 45 of 104 games for a winning percentage of 43.3%. The Packers' opponents meanwhile have won 25 of 74 games for a winning percentage of 33.8%. But if you factor in the necessary win against the Bears their opponents will have won 38 of 90 games for a winning percentage of 42.2%. The game between the Eagles and Cowboys tomorrow is meaningless because the Giants have beaten both. But the Dolphins-Jets game will have a factor (since GB beat Miami) along with these games next week.

1. Rams-Vikings
    2. Cowboys-Lions
    3. Texans-Browns
    4. Niners- Denver
    5. Dolphins-Colts
    6. Cardinals-Chargers
    7. Seahawks-Bucs
    8. Panthers-Saints

The Giants don't care who wins the Eagles-Falcons game because they beat both. From crunching the numbers the Packers can overtake the Giants if most of their opponents boost their winning percentage by winning next week and most of the Giants opponents lose. Next week should be great. How bout a leaguewide collusion to get Favre into the playoffs in his final year? :D

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A couple of thoughts while trying to digest a Giant-sized debacle at the Meadowlands:

1) How do you not have one offensive play start on or inside the opponent's 50 yard line? By accident, you should snap the ball somewhere in opponent territory. Well, that's exactly what the Giants offense didn't do today. Not one play snapped inside the Saints' 50. For comparison's sake, the Saints had 50 offensive plays inside the Giants' 50.

2) For a guy who prides himself on being a disciplinarian, Tom Coughlin has completely lost that team. In short order, they commit stupid penalties, run off at the mouth and simply don't care.

3) The Saints rushed for 235 yards. Considering there were 29 MPH winds, how does that defense not expect the run?

4) Despite everything, the Giants will beat the 'Skins next Sunday and clinch the sixth seed. That means they will either open up at Dallas, Seattle or New Orleans. Any way you want to look at it, that means the end of the Tom Coughlin era in East Rutherford.

5) With Ernie Accorsi done as GM when the season ends, who will replace him? Dan Reeves was in the house.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can underestand being lit up by the Saints' offense. New Orleans can score. But to struggle that much offensively against the Saints' defense? The Giants are truly a mess.

And the NFC is a joke. More and more, I'm convinced there are AFC teams that will miss the playoffs that would have a legitimate shot at making the Super Bowl if they were in the NFC.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

In my mind, the Saints' offense wasn't the story. That defense held the Giants to 142 yards. Hell, Ron F'n Dayne ran for 153 yards against the Colts. One of the biggest running back busts in recent history outgained the Giants by himself! And, the truly screwed up part is that they're still the sixth seed!

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I thought they had clinched. They have a great conference record. My understanding is that Denver is in with a host of teams, including the Jets and Cinci fighting for a playoff spot with the likes of Tennessee and maybe K.C. and Jacksonville. Surely somebody will sort this out after Monday's game.

Draft saved Draft deleted