1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NHL 2023-24 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Season starts tonight. Also, it was just announced Barry Melrose has Parkinson’s.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Can't remember the last time I've been less excited for a season opener. The Caps are mediocre and the Ovechkin goal chase is the only thing to get excited about for the next two seasons. It's a good thing they won that title in 2018 because the entire narrative around this chase would have been different otherwise, just an old guy with no chance to win anything chasing down a record.

Justin_Rice likes this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Looks like hockey will be starting earlier than expected for me. I usually don't get truly invested until the Dodgers are out, which looks like it will be around the same time tomorrow that the Kings face off with the Avs in their opener.

I'm optimistic that the Kings can finally get past the first round, but their goaltending is shaky and they are up against the cap, which could come into play if they need to add players.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Why exactly are the Bolts and Preds playing to start prime time in Newfoundland?

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

So Crosby/Bedard isn’t up against anything?

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Vombatus likes this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You need to find the clip on Twitter of Gretzky narrating a clip for Melrose.
    Very well done.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Just awful. I met him once when he sat at my table to eat before the Stanley Cup Game 6 in San Jose. Was such a great guy to talk to. Just wish him and guess family nothing but the best.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

ESPN set up a tripleheader. The nightcap from Vegas just ended in the last 15 minutes (it’s nearly 1 a.m. CT). I’m guessing there may have been a bit of a production before the Golden Knights raised their Stanley Cup banner.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The game was scheduled to start at 7:30, it started at 8:15. But maybe they didn't realize that because there are no clocks in Las Vegas.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Championship banner pulled from a giant slot machine after it hit three Stanley Cups, so, yeah.

Sea Bass and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted