1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dunno if this was posted on here, but if you haven't seen this video. ... It's long, and you can skip forward in parts, but as this progresses, it's unreal. This is still America in 2020?

It's from 3 days ago. Like Officer Krupke, there, has been living on another planet.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Disagree.

Have a great, safe weekend.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I never qas a columnist, never claimed to be. But if I were, after the events surrounding Drew Brees, the unedited column might go something like this:

How many stupid tweets and apologies does Drew Brees get for being a completely different person than the world believes?

Go back to 2012, when in spite of overwhelming evidence related to the Bountygate scandal, he wrote, "There is no place in the National Football League, or any sport played at any level, for players to conspire, to be coerced, or to be incentivized to intentionally injure another player. I did not participate in any Bounty program, nor did I have any knowledge relating to its real existence."

About Sean Payton, the coach suspended for a year for Bountygate, he wrote, "I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. I need to hear an explanation for this punishment."

Finally, he compared the investigation to the Iraq War, tweeting, "If NFL fans were told there were 'weapons of mass destruction' enough times, they'd believe it. But what happens when you don't find any????"

For that last comment, he apologized.

Skip forward to last year, when he was involved with an ad campaign for Focus on the Family, one of the biggest hate groups toward LGBT people in the country.

When confronted, he claims he had no idea of the group's hatred and didn't understand why LGBT groups were upset. He loves everyone and wants the controversy to go away.

Yet, he had been involved with Focus on the Family for nearly 10 years. If you are a famous person endorsing and working with a group for a decade, you know what they say and do. Ignorance is no defense.

Sound familiar?

Now to this week. He's apologizing again for ignorant comments. He said, “I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country.”

And when many NFL players called him out, it took two apologies. “In an attempt to talk about respect, unity, and solidarity centered around the American flag and the national anthem, I made comments that were insensitive and completely missed the mark on the issues we are facing right now as a country.”

Later, he added, "I know there's not much I can say that would make things any better right now, but I just want you to see in my eyes how sorry I am for the comments that I made yesterday. I know that it hurt many people, especially friends, teammates, former teammates, loved ones, people that I care and respect deeply. That was never my intention."

The ignorant, unintentional words have misled people, hid the truth, and have just been outright hurtful for years.

You are a great football player, so just shut up, play football, collect your millions and hate those who call out your bullshit in silence.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You think Brees ever makes it on the air on NBC?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That’s a completely different take than your original.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So it feels like trolling, whether you intend it to or not.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You said he was lying. He wasn’t lying.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I see you, Mayor Bowser.

2muchcoffeeman, qtlaw and Mngwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted