1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So will his job need to...

Cover his shift

or

Reschedule his meetings?

The “superior” race.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Only thing I can think of is speed at which he was moving. Haven’t seen the video.
    “Malicious wounding” is a classic. As opposed to benevolent wounding.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Remember, children: It’s terrible to refer to Trumpists as members of a klan. Just as bad as white supremacy.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Yup. It’s like I never tire of seeing Nazis get punched.

cyclingwriter2 and OscarMadison like this.
  6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

You already answered the question. These animals very simply wanted a black body on their resume. That's why the three assholes were looking on and they collaborated for some bullshit story. He didn't snap. He saw an opportunity to get a death on his name and took it with the general thought that nothing would happen. And if something did happen, he'd be seen as a martyr by a large group of people, similar to the way Darren Wilson was in Ferguson.

As far as Chauvin was concerned, he'd escape unscathed and enjoy dinner with his wife that night as if nothing happened.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I absolutely understand why you are giving that answer, and you may be right, but it isn't my answer. I think it is a hell of a leap to assume all four officers just wanted to murder a black guy. This wouldn't mitigate Chauvin's heinous act one bit, but maybe there was some incident between him and Floyd when they worked at that night club. Maybe Chauvin is just a murderous piece of crap who only cares about race in that he thought it would be easier to get away murder if the victim was black. Maybe one or more of the other officers is a coward who knew better but lacked the courage to stop what was happening.

Please understand none of this is a defense of Chauvin or the others. Chauvin murdered a man. The other three participated in a murder. Two of them weren't just looking on. They helped hold Floyd down. They are all despicable. That doesn't mean we can't want clearer answers as to why they did what they did.

I'll give you an example. Some of you may remember that the shooting at Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh hit particularly close to home for me. I lived just a few blocks from the synagogue and attended services there as a child. I remember reading about Dr. Jeff Cohen, the President of Allegheny General Hospital, who lives down the street from the synagogue. He was home when it happened. He heard the shots. When he realized the shooter would be taken to Allegheny General, he made sure he was there and spoke with him. As clear as it was that the shooter wanted to kill Jews, Cohen still wanted to understand. He wanted to make sense of the horrible act. I understand what Cohen was thinking. I still wish we knew more about what led a horrible human being to walk into a house of worship and start shooting. Just angrily saying he wanted to kill Jews isn't enough for me.

The same is true with Floyd's murder. Yes, the policemen involved are horrible and maybe, as you said, they just wanted a black body on their resumes. To me, it is worth asking questions, not to mitigate anything they did, but to reach a level of understanding that might help us see the next horrible act before there is another body on the ground.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Institutional racism is not a deliberate, conscious decision in the moment. It comes from ingrained concepts. That's what needs to be changed. Chauvin didn't go out looking to kill a black man that day, I very much doubt that. He WAS conditioned to believe that a black man was entitled to less protections than a white man, for that I am sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted