1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What percentage of NYPD is black? What percentage of the NYPD in that video is black?

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

And just imagine if that had been a black man up there saying the same words. 'We're not all bad. We don't condone those who are in gangs or commit other crimes. There are millions and millions of interactions between black and white people everyday in the United States and you only want to focus on one or five.'

I think one of the things about racism is that black people want to be treated individually. And part of the problem is they're not. The truth is that every single black man in America carries the burden of every other black man in America and part of that reason is because of the racist policing. So if you can't see a problem with what this guy is saying, it ain't him it's you.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t the answer to either question. Do I need to know the answers to those questions to assess the words and emotions in those 90 seconds?

Did you think it was a tantrum? It didn’t seem like a tantrum.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think that would have been true and also terrific and I would think univerally applauded. Especially by Julian Castro.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Not offensive just royally tone deaf about what is going on. He's complaining that police are being disrespected, but the last two weeks there are story upon story of cops losing respect of the people they serve. It's nice he condemns the killing of George Floyd, but what about the rampant abuse toward protesters? What about the rampant abuse toward journalists? What is he proposing to earn that respect back? His only thing he's got is not all cops are bad and the media hates cops.

Julian Castro is pointing out that trust is a two-way street. This spokesman is demands respect, but cops seem to have zero respect for the people they serve if their answer to people saying mean things is to shoot them with rubber bullets and tear gas them.

Mngwa and Dog8Cats like this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Show compassion NOT how “strong”/armed you are.

Show understanding of what the Blacks are feeling; NOT how it makes YOU feel.

OscarMadison and Spartan Squad like this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

NO you show respect then you’ll get some. Your badge means nothing right now. To those abused it just means you were entrusted with society’s trust and you abused that trust.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This brings up the socioeconomic issues faced far more predominantly by blacks than by whites, and brings me back to Matt's and others' points about positive and negative inactions between citizens and the police.

Forget blacks having more negative interactions with them, and whites having more positive ones. The fact is, many whites haven't had ANY interactions with the police, save an occasional traffic ticket, in their entire lives. And, when it comes to law enforcement, the absence of interaction has be considered a win -- a positive -- no matter who you are.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Trevor Noah had a panel discussion on tonight's show about defunding police. In it the point was raised that white people often won't see the police on their neighborhood or while they're driving. And it's true. I can go a few days without seeing a cop driving by. And my biggest worry when I do is that I might be driving too fast at that moment and get a ticket. I can't imagine what it's like to not have that be the first thought when you see a cop on the road. And I've been pulled over four times. Three were fix it related and one was because I started to run a red light before I caught myself. Never been in cuffs or hassled (except as a reporter asking questions). This is the disconnect. While I teach in a low-income neighborhood, I just can't fathom what my kids experience. I wholeheartedly agree that a lack of interaction in the ultimate win.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I got pulled over a year ago. Seems a guy driving a white Honda Civic had robbed the Food Lion on the street in which I was driving my white Honda Civic.

Cop comes over, sees a white guy built like a jockey, and says, "Sorry about that. You can go."

Draft saved Draft deleted