1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Based on the complaints the force remained corrupt and authoritarian for 3 years after its creation.

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You know? I get that. And I think to a lot of people who have never had to deal with racism, this is so unthinkable that we/you/they/whoever have to find some way Chauvin was broken to explain why he did it when the truth is simple and obvious, but so outside of anyone who is not a POC's experience, that we are trying to wrap our minds around it.*

*Somewhere in the ether, Miz Kennedy (4th grade language arts, Sunset Elementary, rm. 4) is facepalming over that run-on sentence.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What actually has happened (not an Alma narrative TM).

They disbanded the city force and went with the county police in May 2013. Excessive force complaints in the years since:

2014 65
    2015 44
    2016 31
    2017 16
    2018 3
    2019 3

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The county force was made up of city force cops - the ones who were willing take huge pay cuts, anyhow. They disbanded - then rebranded, and from there, appeared to close many of the drug markets with clearly aggressive police force, thereby reducing homocides.

Is this “narrative” thing you’re pushing, like, trying to tell me I’m a bad person? Do your arguments come from a place of pure hearted Raguness or something?

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah, racism was never eradicated (from this piece of sh*t its been around at least 65 yrs) its just been hiding under the plywood in the field with the other field rats.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oscar, that is not a fair representation of my point of view at all. Your post implies that I can't accept that racism would lead to murder. I know it can. I've known people who carry around that kind of hate due to race, religion, sexual preference and other ways of seeing people as different. I have even experienced it a few times. For example, I had some kid I barely knew call me Jew boy and stick a razor in my face when I was 10. Am I 100 percent sure it was my faith that made him hate me so much? No, but the comment he made with it was decent evidence.

In the case of Chauvin murdering Floyd, it could have just been about race, but it is possible there was more to it. I believe that is even more likely now that we have a former co-worker of theirs saying that Chauvin and Floyd knew each other. I have no doubt racism was a part of it, but I'm not sure it was the only reason.

Regarding the run-on sentence, you deserve a pass on that. :)

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Okay, THAT was racism. :)

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If she hates asians, she must be miserable in Torrance.

Listen to the HATE in her voice

HanSenSE and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I was a kid I found the South fascinating. Something mysterious about it. I grew up after the civil rights era and thought of the flag as more of being about "identity" than anything else, similar to people having Irish or Mexican flags. At Disneyland in my teens I even bought one of those civil war soldier caps (the grey one) and wore it out in public a few times because I thought it was unique. Being white, I saw the "Southern symbolism" in NASCAR and country music simply as regional pride and an acknowledgment of the "different-ness" of the South. We have people up here in the Northwest that have their own symbols etc - and I know Hawaii and Alaska have their own culture as well. But we really do need to draw a line on the idolatry of symbols that sow and celebrate discord in this country, particularly when they are used by hate groups like the Klan and Nazis and it shouldn't even be a question. We've given the South 150 years to get over their defeat - my goodness, I hope Hillary isn't still railing about Bernie 150 years from now.

Draft saved Draft deleted