1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No no no, everybody knows RoboCop plays bass.

1897e7ef7e584eaf18d363b25535e324.jpg

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I was speaking generally. This is on me because I should have made that clear. At that, it's not denial on their part so much as it's a case of something not computing because most people who are not ethnic minorities have never had to deal with it. Ingrained loathing can occur along religious and economic lines as well.

As we say down here: Oh honey, no.

There's a whole host of scholarship done about white women feeling threatened by Asian women. The fact that she brings up her size, age, and clothing makes me wonder if there's something to that.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, when the Confederate Battle Flag was co-opted by the Klan and other racist groups no one stood up and said stop. Over time what might have charitably been a source of regional pride became a symbol of hate. That stuff needs to go away.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

He won't, but the R's will still be on about her emails.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It wasn't co-opted. The founders of the Klan were Confederate vets who were pissed they lost and the slaves were freed.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I really hadn't heard much of that, but it certainly seems to fit with what we saw in the video.

Regarding your response to my post, that makes sense. I do realize there are people who don't get it. I am not foolish enough to think I completely get it, either. I have a few ugly experiences that remind me that I'm part of a group that has been marginalized at times, too, but it is nothing like the systemic problems that others face.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

RoboCop is like a big-time anthropologist or archeologist, one of the two. PhD and all.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Talas was so much fun.

12. Neutral Corner

Don't forget the Wuhan Flu, that's in the stew as well.

I was going to go with "Hunan Flu", but I was afraid someone wouldn't catch the snark.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted