1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Well, unfortunately, they'll be in power for about another six months, right?

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Okay you got me. I was thinking election night.

lakefront likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's not something I would've done, but I didn't mind it, and I could respect it. I certainly preferred it to any of the gun-toting protesting going on lately.

I always thought Kaepernick was intelligent and thoughtful, and his mode of protest simply reflected that. I don't think it worked, but it could have, if enough of the right people understood his cause and reasoning, and responded positively to it. I believe that's still what needs to happen, and if I had the ear of police commissioners and captains, I would be suggesting that Kaepernick be involved in discussions of operational/procedural changes in police departments.

maumann likes this.
  8. WriteThinking

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Gun-toting protesting? You mean like the armed idiots who marched into the capital building in Michigan to try to force the governor to re-open everything?

Characterizing the more recent protesting as "gun-toting" is inaccurate and unfair. Some people were armed, but the vast majority were not.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Kaepernick was a needy attention seeker from his rookie year onward.

11. WriteThinking

Yep. That, too.

I don't like guns. That should be clear. The minute I see them, I turn off and tune out. There's nothing in this country that requires a gun to solve. The fact that so many people think the opposite, and believe that life and liberty can't be had without them, is a large part of our problems.

heyabbott and Spartan Squad like this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's all fine and good, but you applied that to the current protests, which was inaccurate and unfair. Most of the protests are peaceful and the vast majority of the protesters have been unarmed.

2muchcoffeeman and qtlaw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted