1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

if we're doing anti-Semitism this week, I await the deplatforming of Henry Ford and Charles Lindbergh, et al.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Are they still a thing? Admittedly, I don't follow country music at all - my wife does. I was under the impression that they got really popular thanks to using Taylor Swift's castoff songs, and were now in the wind down portion of their career. Regardless, them saying they were switching to Lady A - without realizing an established Black artist already performed under that name - and then not just switching to a completely new name, strikes me as pretty tone deaf. Someone on Twitter suggests that "Lady Karen" would make a great band name, which would piss off my aforementioned wife who's actually named Karen, but "Lady Nashville" isn't taken. Or, you know, just come up with something else entirely, because the band apparently consists of a lady and two dudes.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Her usage pre-dates their trademark, plus if they want to drag it out to a court case, they're probably going to have to show that they used it, as opposed to just trademarking a bunch of terms related to "Lady Antebellum."

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The whole thing has not been a great look for anyone involved.

7. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I studied American history and I didn’t really think of the term “Antebellum” as being offensive. It seemed like maybe they jumped the gun.

Then they made the screw up of taking a name someone was actually using. They definitely moved too quickly on that (assuming they were unaware of it’s usage by someone else).

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. I don't think that many people find "antebellum" offensive.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Mel Gibson, still working