1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Just wait until Adam Sandler IS The Black Panther,and you’ll be screaming a different tune

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Then it's a good thing Ariel was never dubbed the little white mermaid.

Spartan Squad and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  3. heyabbott

Looking Forward to Tyler Perry’s Fiddler on the Roof staring Oprah Winfrey as Tevye.

Steve Buscemi Is Nelson Mandela in The Nelson Mandela Story,, directed by Mel Gibson.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Real people are unequal to cartoons. I'm not sure why anyone has to belabor that point. So again, just f****** stop it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

On the left? If this is what happened, it is really nice to see someone called out by their peers.
    [​IMG]

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I assumed more then one person reported hearing the words. And yeah, I don't think you make something up like that out of the blue. And I can also imagine people hearing it, but not being 100 percent sure they heard it right. (Or not wanting to think they heard it right). Considering the attention it received, I just figured it was confirmed before BYU did their investigation.

7. heyabbott

It’s all a farce.

But remember when all those miniature brained butt hurt assholes were mad at Lin-Manuel Miranda for not having enough Black characters in his last movie? Those dipshit morons could not remember Hamilton so they called Miranda a racist. That the fucking level of intelligence of sone people.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Yeah. That seems to be the thing.

9. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

My understanding of cultural appropriation is like this:

-Eating a taco or going to a Cinco de Mayo party when you're not Mexican isn't cultural appropriation. Putting on a giant sombrero and a fake Pancho Villa mustache probably is.
    -Eating a bagel or chopped liver or attending a Passover seder when you're not Jewish isn't cultural appropriation. Walking around in a prayer shawl and a skullcap as a fashion statement probably is.
    -Wearing a shirt with Native American tribal patterns when you're not Native American probably isn't cultural appropriation (assuming they're not sacred designs of major spiritual significance). A grown-ass woman dressing like a slutty Pocahontas for Halloween or for a drunken Thanksgiving-themed party probably is.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that it's when the dominant culture takes aspects of a less dominant culture that they've already conquered/marginalized and uses them in a disrespectful manner or in a casual, frivolous manner when they are items or symbols of deep religious, spiritual or cultural significance. But I do know one thing for sure -- I have no idea how the hell any of this applies to fictional cartoon characters.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oh, do you have a lot to learn.

Portland Burrito Cart Closes After Owners Are Accused Of Cultural Appropriation

Water Works artist Inkpa Mani resigned amid charges of cultural appropriation

Honor or cultural appropriation? Hospital name spurs debate

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yes. Did you?

Draft saved Draft deleted