1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This seems worse, because it's a SCHOOL, trying to purposely celebrate something, and getting it wrong. But this whole thread somehow reminds me of the Tiger Woods/fried chicken controversy, when the only problem turned out to be that Tiger Woods just liked fried chicken, and people were afraid of being politically incorrect.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The problem isn't that Tiger Woods likes fried chicken. We all like fried chicken.

The problem is assuming Tiger Woods likes fried chicken because he's black.

As Fuzzy Zoeller and Sergio Garcia found out, to their shame.

Nothing 'politically incorrect' about it.

Straight racism.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Since when is "chicken and waffles" a stereotypical Black person meal?

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Officials from the school said its food supplier - Aramark - had changed the planned meal of cheesesteaks, broccoli and fruit.
    "We are extremely disappointed by this regrettable situation and apologise to the entire Nyack community for the cultural insensitivity displayed by our food service provider," Principal David Johnson wrote in a 2 February letter to parents.
    The foods the supplier picked "reinforce negative stereotypes concerning the African American community", he said.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Is it? Is it a Southern stereotype?

Or is the problem the assumption that all Black people like chicken and waffles?

What's the most famous chicken and waffle spot in America? Sylvia's? Roscoe's?

It's often on the menu at the cafe in the NMAAHC.

A People’s Journey, A Nation’s Story | National Museum of African American History and Culture

https://nmaahc.si.edu/sites/default/files/images/menus_music_addendum.pdf

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If I run this business, I take fried chicken and greens and watermelon OFF the menu for the entire month of February.

wicked and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't really get the whole chicken and waffles thing.

Azrael likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

On the right day, other than Mozart, or penicillin, chicken and waffles might be the apex of human achievement.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What I would do is wrap seasoned chicken skins around a waffle and deep fry it and serve with Vermont maple syrup.

TrooperBari, Big Circus and Azrael like this.
  10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I thought it was a U.S. west coast thing. African American culture can be rooted in other parts of the country. Ask any electric blues purist. (The phrase, "Mississippi my ass!" was repeated a few times in that conversation, IIRC.) So yeah, I forget this sometimes and am not proud of it.

Everyone involved at Aramark should be embarrassed, especially since this is not the first time and they've lost contracts over this.

Azrael likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Cash money.

Call 'em Dippin' Skins.

I'll look for your cart at the state fair.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Lots of conflicting origin stories, going back to the introduction of the waffle iron here - by Thomas Jefferson.

A Pressing Mystery: Thomas Jefferson and the Waffle

Harlem. Long Beach. Pennsylvania.

History of Chicken and Waffles | The History Kitchen | PBS Food

Who knows?

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted