1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I just thought he was making a stupid-ass racist uncle joke because there was a picture of a black Lab at the link.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I could see there being a new favorite, but the French Bulldog? Think that would've probably been about No. 20 among my guesses of which breed it was.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that it has more to do with fewer people doing the sort of hunting that requires dogs than a few decades back.

4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I may have written that in jest.

Fred siegle and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm old enough and Southern enough that I've hunted over dogs for quail, had working retrievers for ducks and dove. My father in law raised bird dogs. I've had deer hunts ruined when some knob of a redneck ran dogs through the area I was hunting on opening day - when dog hunting for deer wouldn't open for another two weeks or so.

I suspected that might be something of a dual purpose comment but I had reason to play it straight.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I forget the book I read when I was in grade school about "coon hunting" dogs. I thought that was a cool name. Thirty-plus years later, that takes on an entirely different meaning.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One thing about these stories...

When the headline is about a sports radio show host doing or saying something blatantly racist, they don't need to include the city. It's ALWAYS Boston.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking maybe it was "Where the Red Fern Grows."...

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My first reaction was to tear into this.

And then I Googled "sports talk radio racism," and the first 50 results were either about an ESPN personality's feelings on race or about a Boston sports talk radio host saying something stupid. I gave up.

12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Took me a second to figure this out.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted