1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I said it on another thread, but Jason Aldean is Trump-level sociopathy. He doesn't seem to care that 61 of his fans got mowed down from above in Vegas. He played his next concert on schedule in Little Rock days later without a delay. He gets a pass only because he doesn't call Black people "near" like Morgan Wallen does. And that didn't hurt Wallen much.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Uvalde is a small town.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Remind me what Ahmaud Arbery tried in a small town? Bet his killers would happily jam out to this.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Cool.

Aldean’s performance backdrop is the Maury County Courthouse, which at times appears to be on fire as images of burning American flags are projected onto it. It’s the same building where a mob hanged 18-year-old Henry Choate from the balcony in 1927. The teen had been accused of attacking a White girl who never identified him as her assailant, and whose mother begged the mob to let him stand trial.

Columbia is also the site of an infamous 1946 race riot that nearly resulted in the lynching of future Supreme Court justice Thurgood Marshall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...son-aldean-song-video-pulled-cmt-controversy/

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I feel like this might be worth some discussion.

MSN

I'm going to say I don't think this is a good idea. It seems like something that should be taught in schools, and not forgotten, but not necessarily memorialized in this way, and across three states, no less.

Not because of worth or the lack of it, but because it seems like it'd be unnecessarily inflammatory, and frankly, give people these days some ideas that shouldn't be encouraged. or repeated.

The anti-lynching law that Biden signed in Till's name seems a much better response, and I do wonder what the target of Till's actions, who died just earlier this year, would think at this point, too.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

to whom?

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Considering the delicate sensibilities of would-be lynchers is certainly an interesting angle to take on Joe Biden memorializing Emmitt Till.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

We attended this small, nighttime community meeting in Stone Mountain, Georgia, to see why Critical Race Theory is preventing people from embracing “Bidenomics.”

dixiehack and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I really appreciate the nuance you make your point with. I respectfully have to disagree. To memorialize an event is to call attention to it so people have to remember. Schools, especially in the South, are trying to do away with things like the Till lynching. It needs to be in your face.

Mamie did the same thing when she opened the coffin for the world to see what happened to her boy. That was infinitely more inflammatory than a memorial.

Especially today—when a country singer is glorifying mob justice that led to Till’s lynching—we need the consequences in our faces.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Pro-lynchers gonna be upset.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Look at the curriculum passed in Florida which says slaves benefitted from being slaves. That is being taught. If it takes monuments, holidays, history months and whatever else to teach the truth and upset the mf'n white racists, then so be it.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Her opinion wouldn’t matter.

upload_2023-7-23_12-20-41.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted