1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not only can't we keep slaves any more, we're supposed to feel bad about keeping slaves in the past! What about our feelins??

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I look at it as a timing thing. Till and his death isn't current or familiar to much of today's population, and I don't think there will be much connection to a monument to him -- except, maybe, and unfortunately, to awaken the worst impulses and tendencies of a seemingly growing part of our country that would likely be open to and OK with and susceptible to such ideas.

Also timing-wise, I would've expected a horribly grieving, enraged and probably-out-of-her-mind-with-impotent-helplessness mother to do exactly as Till's mother did. I'm glad she did it. I hope it helped her, and had some impact on others, in some way.

I'm not against a monument per se. I just think the law being passed in Till's name means more, and will be longer-lasting, and its impact will not be muted, or need to be appreciated, in order for it to work as intended if/when the need were to arise.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Funny how few know who Emmet Till was today but signs and historical markers involving him continue to be vandalized and torn down. One was thrown into the river where Till's body was found.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean the accomplice to his murder?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

seriously?

104651118-GettyImages-830617844.jpg

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yes, seriously. I think a law will have more impact than a monument. You don't? And, you don't think a monument might actually do as I suggest?

Unfortunately, what happened to Till could still happen today, certainly, because of the idiocy of a certain segment of the population. I think there'd be much less chance of an all-white jury these days, though, which, hopefully, would make it so that someone would be more likely to pay for the crime, which did not occur at all in Till's case.

Azrael likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Tried to make sure they showed places where Americans didn’t lynch blacks to satisfy the fools but no now you have to get all woke about that too, very troubling.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion.

I should have said "Seriously? This is the guy you're worried about unnecessarily inflaming?"

104651118-GettyImages-830617844.jpg

He seems pretty worked up already.

Also, I'm not sure your "timing" objection is meaningful.

A new anti-lynching law and a memorial to Emmett Till and his mother are not mutually exclusive.

If anything, the opposite.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I feel like I’ve stumbled into the darkest timeline of First Take.

[​IMG]

“I want to be very, very clear, abundantly clear that lynching is wrong…but…”

“Go on…”

Azrael, dixiehack and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted