1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Nikki Haley thinks we can lock this thread. And never should have started it.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Nothing new about that. It happened all over the nation.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That’s evil genius level. Anybody can be a bigot, but it takes a certain commitment to combine engineering with hate.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great stuff -- especially the historic photos. Thanks for posting, @garrow!

The history of highways is fascinating to me (warning: transportation nerd!), and that link makes reference to Mike Royko's "Boss," which explained the racial motives behind placement of the Dan Ryan expressway while Richard J. Daley was still alive. That's a good place to start.

I also highly recommend Earl Swift's 2011 book, "The Big Roads," which details how the Interstate Highway System went from a pipe dream of FDR and Ike to reality. Lots of detail about how politics and racism placed the interstates, with an intense focus on Baltimore and the battle to prevent I-70 from plowing through the Inner Harbor area of the city.

garrow likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's still happening. A couple of years ago a stretch of the elevated interstate (I-20) that runs through downtown Birmingham reached the end of its service life and had to be replaced. There was some discussion locally about rerouting that stretch of I-20 north on flat ground, the intent being to get the noise, columns and pollution out of downtown, as well as to reopen Black neighborhoods which had been cut off and isolated from downtown by building the interstate. The idea was that building it on flat ground would get the interstate and accompanying noise, pollution, and bridge abutments out of North Birmingham, the newly cut through area would grow, and there would be no need to build yet another elevated highway through downtown in 20-30 years.

The Alabama Dept. of Transportation came in with the plans already drawn up. The city got extremely little say in ALDOT building the exact same thing only bigger. There was one hearing on moving the route north, which was conducted at two in the afternoon on very short notice. There was as little concern about those neighborhoods as there was when they were first cut off, perhaps less.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The black and white separated neighborhoods already existed when that Eisenhower highway law brought about the start of those projects in the 1950s and 1960s. What happened was what passed for urban planning at the time.

When they were planning those sprawling interstates, they saw it as an opportunity to get rid of slums. It was misguided, the way most centrally planned things are. I am sure most of the planners involved saw it as a poverty clean up more than an opportunity to come up with a racist plan of some sort.

On top of it, whenever they introduced plans to run a portion of a highway through a less poor neighborhood or where there were people with more political juice, they got resistance. That was certainly the case with Robert Moses (who was an outright racist) in NYC. He had a plan. ... and in spots ended up having to scrap it and take the building path of least resistance.

I think the guy behind this project is doing really interesting work. He has a website called Segregation by Design that is trying to document the effects of those highways with photos and have an effect on future urban central planning attempts. But I think the value of what he's doing relates to the effects of what those highways did, not about the motivations of the urban planners at the time. The separate neighborhoods, lack of opportunities for minorities, lack of political power, already existed. I think the placement of the highways probably more reflected the lack of political power those poor, racially divided neighborhoods had at the time than the conclusion that the highways themselves were being used as a tool to create / ensure segregation. It's a subtle distinction, I know, but it's more difficult than people think to attribute motivations to people in 1956 in the prism of where we are in 2024.

maumann and I Should Coco like this.
  10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted