1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Tighthead and garrow like this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Maybe he should be running against Ted Cruz.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In before the 1,000-word NHJ hate starts.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Horrific

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

X-Hack and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Spartan Squad

“In addition to exerting pressure towards leftist conformity… Detractors reasonably suspect that underneath the uncontroversial aspirations for diversity statements … are controversial goals including the weeding out of candidates who manifest opposition to or show insufficient enthusiasm for the DEI regime.”

AKA why can’t we just do things the white way … er right way … anymore?

You know what these pledges want? Let’s teach in a way that connects with students. I mean God forbid we connect with students so they feel engaged with material and actually learn it. But maybe that’s my leftist conformity. I bet if I call him a right wing nut job—which he is—I’d be attacked by the Ben Shapiros of the world who think I don’t get it and did I really read the whole thing and don’t I know glue this is hurting the true nature of education? Sure. I know righties want to gut education to make it elitist so only certain people have access and we don’t need to hurt fee fees by saying other cultures are worth exploring.

tapintoamerica and OscarMadison like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, a black man whose parents moved him out of South Carolina when he was young because they were fleeing Jim Crow, wanted you to get "AKA why can't we just do things the white way ... er right way ... anymore?" from that. :rolleyes:.

X-Hack likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Wow. That response is so wildly off from the point m of the original article it is absurd.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

DEI and woke are both shorthands for "don't be an asshole."

It's really not hard to figure out.

12. Spartan Squad

The original point is don’t beholden us to this and don’t make this a thing that is a reason to get hired. He argues it’s not a fair thing because it forces an ideology as a hiring criteria and doesn’t allow for decent. My argument is that is all bullshit because it’s all code for let’s keep things they way they used to be when we taught things one way when you conformed to one dominant culture or you failed classes. DEI isn’t inherently evil unless now you have to adjust to not being an asshole, which apparently triggered the writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted