1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Were you convinced by his implication that he can read what is in the hearts of people in DEI offices?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How about this, think about WHY there is even the need for DEI CURRENTLY.

Have you ever been asked in an interview “you’ve got one strike against you, you’re Chinese”? For a law job. Or how about “if you could be any color what color would that be?”

Guess who has? And this is in the supposed bastion of liberalism, California.

So please continue to tell me the terrible reverse discrimination that white guys have faced.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Who, the guy who wrote that? It's not really the point to me.

I am pointing out that there are groups that feel aggreived by what they do (which would kind of conflict with what you'd think they exist for). And I do agree with his conclusion about these DEI bureaucracies existing to enforce very particular dogma (and wield power to threaten people into shutting up and going along with it). I have seen way too much that reinforces that.

As for what is in the hearts of most people who have gravitated to those jobs. ... that Heritage backgrounder was actually pretty interesting. I'll actually countdown to someone who has no interest in looking at it, doing" Heritage Foundation!" So, take it for what it is worth.

But they tracked the tweets of people working in DEI offices at universities and compared their tweets about Israel to their tweets about China, and the level of vitriol and extreme language attached to their rhetoric in the tweets about Israel -- for example, tweets about "apartheid" and "genocide" and "colonialism" was stark. The hostility toward Israel was clearcut, and while that doesn't necessarily equate to antisemitism, it's difficult to reconcile some of the really angry and hateful language they used in various tweets without at least being suspicious. They didn't feel anywhere near the level of passion toward anything dictatorial China does (for example, actual human rights abuses).

They found one personal tweet from a DEI officer that said: “Every Israeli bomb and bullet used against Palestinians and paid for by USA dollars has been consummated by the blood and soil of American Indians. From the river to the sea and from sea to shining sea, we shall be free.”

I think that kind of "narrative" encapsulates what is going on with DEI perfectly.

And FWIW, "river to the sea" is a genocidal statement.

Do I think the tally of the tweets in that backgrounder were cherry picked anomalies? No. I think what I said earlier about a dangerous "opppressor / oppressed" narrative that makes sweeping generalizations about groups of people is actually a tenet of DEI in practice in those offices. ... and I think that oppressor Jews (privileged!) vs. oppressed Arab Palestinians (victims!) fits very neatly into the dogma they buy into. And I think it's why we have seen what we saw in practice when jewish students felt threatened on campuses and DEI was busy with "microaggressions."

Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You lose me when you assume those tweets aren't "cherry-picked anomalies." That author was clearly pushing an agenda. You are giving that writer way too much trust.

5. The Big Ragu

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Parent claims it wasn't racial, but personal, possibly related to that the girl had been expelled at some point. Superintendent got a restraining order. Parent's next court date for a disorderly conduct charge isn't until August.

https://www.wmtv15news.com/2024/06/...s-he-pushed-superintendent-during-graduation/
    Man who charged Baraboo graduation stage had 'past issues' with school superintendent

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What I mean by the "moment of white DEI grievance" is that those letters have now passed into a state of alarmist unmeaning, like "woke" or "CRT" or "affirmative action" and are now mostly a rhetorical race hustle for kneejerk conservatives.

Hence pieces like this Candace Owens is "terrified" of women pilots or this https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/0...ican-academia-to-reject-dei-guest-commentary/ or this https://www.dailywire.com/news/ben-...injure-patients-they-might-still-be-protected

This UCLA medical school panic is simply the latest of these.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Or as my people called ourselves, poor.

qtlaw likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

So I personally think anyone who is in a "panic" over UCLA's admissions office needs to get a life. I hope people like that don't seriously exist. On the list of potentially messed up things in the world, I can think of a gazillion that have more direct impact on any of us (on me, at least), than if UCLA Medical School is making race-based admissions decisions. I think it's discriminatory if they do. ... and I think life goes on either way.

I agree that there is a screech machine out there trying to fight the"culture wars," and they use hyperbole and stupid rhetoric and conflate things in alarmist ways to rile up their followers. I agree with you about how shitty it is. "Race hustle for kneejerk conservatives" was a good way to put it, and it actually goes beyond race to include all kinds of groups of people they want to turn into an enemy / scapegoat for the moment.

The other half, though (which I will add). ... is that it's part of a broader culture war has an equally shitty yin to the yang you are pointing out. And that is where the DEI bureaucracies we are talking about came in, because they do "race hustle" of a different type (although again, it's not just about race). I am talking about the opppressor / oppressed narratives that are their bread and butter, and telling non-preferred groups they are "privileged" (which feels retributive in nature) and the "microaggression" and victimhood culture that they weaponize as a threat to go along with the dogma if you want to survive in academia. I won't belabor it, but I do think the grievances of Asians and Jews (non preferred groups in that world) on various college campuses has been very inconvenient.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I agree with you for the most part there; what I would point out is that critics of DEI should look in the mirror and understand why DEI is needed or even raised. Its because of the hundreds of years of oppression that the minorities have suffered. Does every single white person need to suffer? Did every single person of color suffer? IMHO absolutely not. But, sometimes one needs to give a little for the greater good in society. When I was admitted to both university and law school I did not apply for affirmative action programs because I thought (erroneously it turns out) that I was not disadvantaged, I had two parents, living in a tract home with two cars. I simply did not know what advantages others had (AP course? I had not idea what those were, LSAT tutors? that was available?) I thought I was the same as everyone else. My point though is that, while I got into a fine school, I probably had a strong opportunity at higher ranked schools but lost out on a spot to other affirmative action candidates because I did not ask that other criteria be considered. That was a price I paid, but that's okay because that's a small price for the opportunity for others to succeed.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

First it was Woke, then CRT and then DEI, and all three have morphed into nothing more than catch-all terms with no meaning that the far right uses to push back against anything not aligning with white history.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for any discrimination you've experienced, and for any stupid, has-got-to-be-illegal, race-related interview questions you've been asked. But just because one person or group has been discriminated against, does not mean another cannot be, yes, even in reverse. It's all bad, and shouldn't be some kind of an unholy contest with regard to who has it worse. That's why there have been attempts by society to address the issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted