1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He should have an "inflate to 32 pounds" sticker, like my car tires.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Some memorable images from yesterday and before.
    From the first day in Minnesota, the white woman running out of Target with two lamps.
    A guy ran out of a Van's store with 6 boxes of shoes, hit a wet spot right outside the front door and took a tumble, the boxes went flying. He picked up three and ran away. Another guy casually picked up one box, looked at the size, threw it down and walked away.
    A store called Patagonia was completely ravaged. White surfer girl ran out carrying a surfboard. Another white guy struggled to get two surfboards through the door. He finally did, jumped on the back of a waiting motorcycle and they sped away. That store was picked clean.
    A guy who owns a liquor store was joined by a few friends. They sat in front of the store fully armed with pistols and assault rifles. One of their firearms looked like it could take down a tank.
    A TV guy said the police response in Santa Monica was like "Whack-A-Mole." A store was being looted, the cops showed up, everybody ran away. Another store a few blocks away was being looted and they took off before the cops arrived. The cops could never catch up with the looters.

What a shit day.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Have to wonder if Floyd’s killer is arrested if the protests don’t turn violent.

I agree that the protests are giving cover to assholes but sometimes violence is needed to get a point across.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

From a Washington Post story:

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

6. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I believe that is actually Jerry Krause, architect of the 1990s Chicago Bulls dynasty, pictured.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Long Beach, CA police were literally doing nothing. Looters were coming out of a store called Outfitters in downtown Long Beach, and the cops let them by without lifting a finger. At best, they looked like a third base coach giving a wave as a home run hitter rounded third. Local ABC news kept showing it, and for good reason, it was eye-opening. I assume it gave looters in surrounding cities a go-ahead sign, as looting happened throughout the night in neighboring cities.

8. Machine Head

Seems like there's a bit of a messaging disconnect in the White House.

Trump calls for use of force and his press secretary shows clips of protesters and police hugging.

I'm sure they'll figure it out and get on the same page.

9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Protesters and looters are not the same.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

11. Machine Head

But how to tell them apart?

One minute they hug, the next when your back is turned, they loot!

12. Machine Head

What if they're going all Kevin Spacey / Keyzer Soze?

Draft saved Draft deleted