1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'll add you later on tongiht when I get home. Might have to fire it back up just to play the new maps.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I've got the new maps, but am on 360. Black Box is a lot of fun and I still enjoy the stock maps. Updated a few of my classes and so far so good.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Nice! I don't have MW3, but if you see any games on my trophy list that you want some advice or opinion on, feel free to ask. If anyone else wants to add me, my PS3 ID is sgreenwell - I mostly just have NBA Jam On Fire, RPGs and some older games like NCAA Football 11.

4. sgreenwell

To bump this back up:

- Just started Mass Effect 3. While I like some aspects (very nice that "running" is now actually at a brisk pace) the game as a whole feels a bit looser and more action-oriented than I like. I only played ME2 coming into that, but so far I like that more, minus the stupid driving missions. I haven't explored multiplayer yet though, which I've heard is oddly addicting.

- Speaking of ME2 and without revealing any spoilers, I will say that I love how much carries over from ME2 and even ME1 into ME3. If you let someone die or save them, it has far reaching effects through pretty much all of the games. Very nice.

- I got about five or six chapters into Uncharted 3, but since it was a GameFly disc, unfortunately it was scratched and I had to send it back. While I liked the game, it didn't have a hard hold on me, and with Mass Effect 3 beckoning I'll probably wait until I get some more free time to beat Uncharted 3.

- Of course, since I got so wrapped up in Mass Effect, GameFly felt the need to send me Skyrim. Sigh. I guess I know how my next three months or so gaming are going to play out...

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Three months? Try five. I love Skyrim, but I'm at the point where I just want to be finished with the damn thing right now. I'm getting close ... I think.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Just the main quest or the side quests too?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Side quests ... I did everything in the Thieves Guild, Companions, Dark Brotherhood ... finishing up with the Stormcloaks (I'm Nord, and I've already murdered an Emperor, so why side with the Empire?) ... then finally getting to the end of the main storyline. It's clear I spent way too much time doing random menial tasks for people in the cities.

8. sgreenwell

heh, So I've heard... Normally though, I tend to just beat the game and then move on, especially when it comes to PS3 games. I know it shouldn't effect my mindset, but sometimes I'll stick around to pick up a few of the trophies here and there. Mass Effect 2 is the only game I'm close to getting 100% on though. (Need to do insanity difficulty, so it'll be a toss-up, since it means I'd have to do another whole playthrough.)

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If anyone is still using their Wii, the Virtual Console got an interesting release this week: Super Street Fighter II Online.
    Yes, it's a 20-year-old game that's been released in a half-dozen versions already on the Wii. But for this one they added a head-to-head online component. Basically, making a great game potentially awesome -- if enough people get it to make the online play worth a flip.
    I'm intrigued, but considering the Wii is in its dying days I'm wondering if it's really worth the money, or will just be buying a game I already own.

10. sgreenwell

Once I got my PS3, I think I've played my Wii maybe four or five times in the ensuing two years :/ And when I did play, it was for stuff like Guitar Hero, which I could play on the PS3 but the equipment doesn't carry over. Nintendo had a heck of an awesome gimmick, and I'm sure they won this generation's console wars in terms of total sale, but man, that system collects dust once you get a high-powered one.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

My brother had an issue with MW3. The disc basically corrupted his whole system. He can play other games, after reconfiguring, but MW3 won't work. He's not happy.

12. sgreenwell

Been playing ME3 online the past couple days - pretty fun. I like the co-op aspect of it, since I'm not a big PvP guy anyway. I really wish they had a few more customization options though, especially being able to mute other people's mics. I played late last night with two French / Canadian kids who wouldn't stop swearing loudly in French and English. C'est la vie, I guess.

The other amazing thing to me is the rampant, incessant complaining about the cost of multiplayer equipment packs over on the Bioware message boards. The game has only been out a month, and already people are complaining that they don't have enough weapon packs and blah blah blah. I have a fairly flexible work schedule and only manage to play a couple hours each day, so I can't even fathom all these people who have managed to max out 15+ guns with 10 upgrades each.

Draft saved Draft deleted