1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's exactly it. Grisly is a perfect way to put. There's literally a point in the game where you try to look in a mirror in some house with Ellie and she won't do it because she can't live with some of the shit she's done. I'm really curious to see where the TV show goes with this portion of things in season 2 because it's some dark, cruel, ugly shit.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Had a crazy amount of anxiety lately, which a good distraction from is video games.

Unfortunately, all I have is a MacBook Air and for some reason, finding multiplayer co-op games on Steam that appeal to me and my somewhat-boyfriend (that actually work, looking at you Offworld Trading Company) that a person on Windows and Mac can play together is proving...difficult.

So now I'm looking at gaming laptops. Any suggestions? (Also drop your favorite co-op games that aren't FPS in as well.)

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

RPS has a pretty good list here, that has a range of titles. Stardew Valley and Overcooked 2, in particular, leap out at me. Portal 2 is excellent as well, although it's technically a FPS, albeit an older one that you can't really die in.

When it comes to gaming PC laptops, unless you want to play something really processor-intensive (a brand new FPS), you can get away with something $1,000 or less. I went to Micro Center instead of Best Buy, but this is roughly equivalent to the system I got in March 2021 that I've been happy with. I mostly emulate old school video games, and play idle and casual games while I watch TV (no AAA games or anything like that), and I haven't came across anything that really taxes my system yet. Just make sure it has a couple USB slots, in case you want to use a controller, an external hard drive, a mouse, etc. Also, screen size is highly dependent on your individual situation. I like having a big viewing area, whereas my view prefers to use a dual screen setup with a small laptop screen being one of them.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You don't even need a good gaming laptop anymore. Just get a good Chromebook with a 120hz refresh rate, and use GEForce Now premium. It provides you with the graphic computing power via streaming, assuming you have a good interwebs connection.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I started watching The Last of Us late last week and thought, what the heck, let's play the game! I don't know why it never caught my attention, but it didn't.

I'm only about an hour into it, but I have to say I may be questioning my life choices combining that with watching the show. So far, enjoying it, though. And the PS5 version is just freaking gorgeous.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Finished The Last of Us Part II tonight. I have many thoughts, but it’s going to take a day or two to process everything that happened. Between story and gameplay, the two games combined were the most emotionally exhausting yet rewarding things I’ve ever played.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Roscablo

I finished The Last of Us Part I and the DLC a few days ago. If you haven't played the DLC, play it. For only being a few hours, it was really, really good and some much tougher combat/stealth situations. And in my mind some of the most tension of the whole game (but not the most). It definitely enhances the game.

I am not a big play it again guy, but if I did I would play until Joel got hurt, then do the DLC, then finish the main story.

I got a surprisingly large amount of the collectibles. I am kind of proud of myself. I like to 100% a lot of games but with this one, not sure I am motivated to go back and do it. It's easier to do in open worlds when you can keep playing.

I am ready for Part II even with the feedback here! Not going to say I am not a little leery, though. Of course I didn't go into this process thinking I would do it, so I didn't get it when it was on sale like Cosmo did. The physical stores still list the hard copy at $9.99 but it is sold out everywhere. It is back to $39.99 on the PS store. Debating about just doing it and getting going or waiting for a cheaper version.

9. Regan MacNeil

It’s absolutely worth playing. There’s also no rush. We’re at least two years away from a S2 of the show.

10. Roscablo

I am just in that zone at the moment, I guess. Kind of want to get to it while it's all fresh. Keep seeing Part II spoilers, too, and although I would in no way finish before this season is over, it would be better in that regard than waiting two years!

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My thoughts on TLOU part II evolved with the game. I’m playing it through a second time and the story makes a lot more sense now. Absolutely worth playing.

12. Regan MacNeil

Finally beat Baldur’s Gate 3. Anyone else here play it?

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted