1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Someone calling a cola "Pop" and the other "soda" is regional. Someone calling them "fireflies" and another calling them "lightning bugs" is regionals. The cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol then brushed across the connector of an NES cartridge, my friend, is universal.

By the way, Lifeforce is a fucking classic. Miss blasting the heck out of the "Easter Island" thingys.

2. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

[​IMG]

3. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Yeah, we beat Contra first, played Baseball Stars until my buddy gave up after my eight-run seventh inning, then beat Lifeforce. The Konami Code is a beautiful thing.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Blowing=bad
    Alcohol=good

Even better, you can find replacement connector pins (the thing on the inside of the NES you shove the cartridge into) for about $10 or less.

I bought one about five years ago, they email you step-by-step instructions and you go from there. It took me (a total, non-mechanical person who can barely screw in a lightbulb) 10 minutes to completely take the NES apart, take the old connector out, put the new one in, and put it back together.

The thing works perfectly now -- like I just took it out of the box. My friends are all jealous.

I would highly recommend trying this avenue if you have the time/desire.

5. Bruce Leroy

So can you use alcohol for years or decades and never have negative repercussions?

6. Norman Stansfield

That's the million-dollar question.

I'd just go ahead and get the new connector pins, and then not have to worry about it anymore.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I'm not sure if I am proud or ashamed to admit that hubby and I broke down today and bought ourselves a Wii. The slightly embarassing part is that he is 45 and I am 40 and we no longer have children at home. It was purchased strictly for us old folks.

So far we only bought Super Mario Galaxy. Can't find Mario Kart in stock anywhere, which we are quite bummed about.

If it is as addicting as everyone says, I may never move beyond my milestone 300th post.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"One of us! One of us! Weeble wobble! Weeble wobble!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Bruce Leroy

Did you get the pins at a video-game store, eBay, some other Web site? I can see myself using my original Nintendo into my 60s, so this would be a good $10 investment.

10. Norman Stansfield

Sorry. I thought I had said eBay, but looking back, I didn't.

So yeah, just do a search for NES connector pins on eBay, snag one and get to work when they send it to you.

Well worth it.

11. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I did the same thing & it's great. (I found mine on eBay)

Eventually, I'd love to snag one of the top-loading NES'.

I've picked up a few titles on the Wii's Virtual Console. Cool yes, but not as cool as playing the originals, with original hardware.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You haven't started a thread on it yet? Yer slipping.

Draft saved Draft deleted