1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rush Limbaugh dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Feb 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Okay someone calls you "deplorable", the other side says you should "go back to your country" and "you and your ancestors should be gassed." False equivalency.

Rachel Maddow can be snarky but she was nowhere near spewing the hate that Limbaugh and the rest spew.

See you "fact check" but you don't fact check for degree of hatred or vitriol.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because I know there will always be the extreme viewpoints that get undeserved attention.

Or should I post my sj.com search result for "piano wire" again.

And "degree of hatred" is pointless, anyway, because no matter how far out of bounds you may step . . . well, uh, he DESERVED it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

People want to know "what happened" to the GOP - Limbaugh happened. While I don't doubt if it wasn't him it would have been somebody else taking talk radio by the throat following the end of the Fairness Doctrine, The party went from Reagan - to GHW Bush, to W, to Trump during his career. Quite a legacy.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'll push back with this, Webster. (And I'll aim for doing it with respect. Our mutual enjoyment of sports betting chatter is far more important than this).

Limbaugh (and the FOX commentators) made a sector of Americas feel good by insulting people not like them. That's nothing to be proud of.

But so do many other segments on the other side of the political spectrum. They mock people who shop at Walmart, eat at buffets, work in manufacturing, think Ray Stevens and NASCAR commercials are funny. Enough people felt that way where, in 2016, the country elected a buffoon as president.

If the influencers on the left didn't look down on as many Americans as they do, Hillary easily gets to 270 votes.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct. Keep Pounding to all ... but we're not wrong, insensitive or overly nasty IMO to mention that Rush Limbaugh saw zero correlation of tobacco use to lung cancer.

Plenty of evidence says otherwise.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Serious question, who are the "influencers"?

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

They are failures.
    That's what this has always been about.
    And we are being made to suffer for their life failures.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder if any editorial cartoonists dares to "spoof" those inane "St. Peter's gate" cartoons that usually populate editorial pages following the passing of a celebrity. Either with St. Peter featured alone in a panel, or the other place. Limbaugh really did redefine what people think of conservativism - to anti-science, anti-human rights, anti-liberal.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You don’t want my gambling tips the past week. I’ve lost money on every soccer and basketball bet since the Super Bowl.

I do agree that many people have “square state/flyover” snobbishness and there is certainly something to much of the world of liberal TV/Twitter punditry which is anti-conservative focused. What I mean to convey is that I took Rush’s core belief as being negative feelings towards those who were not like him/his audience. He was charismatic and could be very biting in his wit, but in my observation, he didn’t stand for anything other than to tell you that those people over there suck.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And yet (from the WaPo obit) . . .

So most are NOT failures. I've said it multiple times. My Vol Deplorables board is littered with physicians, successful businessmen and one former DoD employee. I often find their viewpoints warped and wonder why they seem so angry, but I'd be nuts to call them failures.

I believe Rush took umbrage at the idea that those who didn't look like him were victims, and that he and his ilk were the reason they are victims. His "hatred" was directed toward those pushing that viewpoint.

And while there's an argument that to a degree many ARE victims, it's pretty easy to overplay that hand. And Rush ate it up.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.