1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sample resume...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YoungGun7, Sep 2, 2007.

1. DKIA

DKIA Member

If calling doesn't work, just show up and demand to see the SE, especially when deadline is approaching. That's your best chance to meet as many of your future co-workers as possible.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

One page.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Shaggy, disagree with you. The rule here is no more than two pages. However, it has to highlight things that are pertinent to the job you are applying for. Also a great cover letter which is I think the selling point of anything. If you don't write a good cover letter, employers won't even touch your resume.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I agree. If you have lots of experience and nice achievements, two pages is fine.

And the cover letter is your best, first sell.

Finally, make sure you call within a week to check in. Ask if they got your resume, and then if they have any questions. Then say you'd really like to interview for the job. Your main objective up front is to land the interview.

If they say they don't want calls, do that stuff in a follow-up email. That increases your chance of getting a call.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i really could give two shits about the resume. the cover letter sucks me in and the clips sell.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Well, maybe a resume, cover letter and clips don't matter. It can also be connections. I just gave someone a 20 minute over the phone reference and it was enough to hire them for a position. The person hiring told me that they did not need to look at anything else because my name was on the referral list.

Wow, talk about power you did not think you had.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think you forgot about the blue font. ;D

8. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Be sure to call numerous times no matter what the ad says, as Moderator1 points out. That "no calls please" is just to test you. A true journalist doesn't abide by the rules! And if you don't get that job, well, it's just another example of journalism dying, damnit!

9. NO CALLS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for the insight, stringer.

11. Dude...you're a miserable bastard aren't cha?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no, not really ... and that's simply another breakdown in logic. pointing out the obvious does not equal miserable bastard, does it?

Draft saved Draft deleted