1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They've been participants in war since the founding of the religion. They're not some passive victims.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So there are no innocent, fair-minded civilians there? None at all?

We talk sympathetically about people caught in a cycle of poverty. Can't we talk the same way about people caught in a cycle of war?

3. YankeeFan

You just told me the fair minded ones don't become terrorists.

And, yes, of course I have sympathy for the people caught up in cycles of war. Surely the majority aren't responsible for the near constant state of war.

But, let's not pretend that Islam isn't a big reason why these nations/regions/peoples are in a nearly constant state of war.

It's not a coincidence, it's a feature.

4. YankeeFan

They might take a while to get, but we sure don't turn down a lot of K-1/Fiancé visas.

Given the small number, I'd guess most were denied because of fraud, i.e. it wasn't a real marriage, and not because of concerns about the vis applicant:

In fiscal 2014, the U.S. issued 35,925 K-1 visas, while rejecting 618. Officials are careful to say those figures don’t account for all applications that year since many are pending or may have been withdrawn, but the figures do nonetheless suggest a relatively low rejection rate. The Center for Immigration Studies, a think tank that supports stricter immigration controls, noted that the fiancé visa is rarely ever denied.

“Maybe we should be more careful about issuing these visas in this category, too, along with all the others,” wrote David North, a fellow at the center. “Just because someone is entering the country as the beloved of one our citizens should not bring out an automatic rubber stamp of approval.”

‘Fiancé visas’ off limits in rush to tighten borders

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Trump has long since blown past the point where he deserves the slightest benefit of any doubt.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I was just responding to your pretty direct correlation between adherents of Islam and war.

There are innocent, fair-minded people who could be and have been driven to terrorism if they reached a breaking point like, say, decades of constant war. A product of the cycle of war, not their religion. War can break even the most fair and strong-minded person.

That's not to say there aren't people driven to war by the religion's call to jihad don't exist. They do - too many of them. And they perpetuate the cycle by recruiting the easily duped, and relying on war to break others.

7. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Lack of gun control? Where do you get your information from? There's a plethora of gun laws on the books. How is there a "lack of gun control" in the US?

Copycat? These people weren't committing a copy cat crime? There is a clear objective by a segment of the Muslim population. They aren't copying anybody. I have no idea what you are talking about.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They aren't copying each other?

So radical Islamists are all independently coming up with the idea to commit terrorist acts?

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

LongTimeListener likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jonathan Winters is versatile.

dprince57 likes this.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

It's an objective. It's a concerted effort. Your conclusion is a logical fallacy.

None of them are thinking "hey, that dude blew himself up and killed a bunch of infidels, I think I'm going to go do that myself. Here mom, watch my kid while I go on a killing spree like Akmed did over there". His wife pledged allegiance to ISIS, they were in contact with ISIS, they were part of a cell. They, and the Paris shooters, and all the others, aren't copying each other, they are ALL part of an objective.

Draft saved Draft deleted