1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This is so obtuse it's basically a straight line.

SpeedTchr and old_tony like this.
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Seems natural. I was raised a Catholic.

Brian and LongTimeListener like this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

How many stonings, beheadings and mass killings have Christians been responsible for lately? Again, this kind of purposeful ignorance is dangerous. And now that you've quickly reverted to attempts at joking in lieu of defending your position, it tells me you know how much of a hypocrite you're being. Just admit that political correctness is more important to you than actually believing that women, gays and Jews are no different from anyone else.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, I guess you're going to completely ignore what I wrote, and what I asked, in place of arguing something completely different.

Here's my argument boiled down: Jesus = good, Mohammed ≠ good.

Try to argue that if you want.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Most people pick and choose what they want from a religion and use it to justify what suits them. Perhaps you have noticed that there is more than one Christian denomination?

So to throw Islam under the bus because Jesus was a better dude than Mohammed is beside the point.

Many, many Christians don't really do the basic things Jesus told us to do. But Muslims all fall lockstep in with all facets of Mohammed's teaching? Is that your basic tenet?

6. YankeeFan

I really don't think it is besides the point. The teachings of Jesus and Mohammed are quite different.

And, without question, the followers of each do not always, or even often, live up to the teachings of each respective religion's founder.

And, so, Christians often do not love thy neighbor as they are commanded.

And, Muslims, often do not murder their neighbor, when necessary, as commanded.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Songbird and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  7. YankeeFan

I think it's even worth discussing how each religion handles its followers who fall short of the teachings of its founder.

In Catholicism, when we sin, we can go to Confession, and receive forgiveness for our sins. This is a sacrament that was founded by Jesus, as he knew we would fall short of his teachings.

I'm not expert, but I believe other denominations have ways to receive forgiveness as well.

What about Islam?

Well, we often see people argue that this terrorist or that terrorist wasn't even that religious. They drank, and smoked. We're told that it wasn't the Koran that drove them to terror, it was the invasion of Iraq, or some other thing.

In reality, as these guys become more religious, they realize that their soul is in danger, and to redeem it, they choose Martyrdom, and the rewards that come with it.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Islam isn't keen on forgiveness.

9. YankeeFan

Right.

But if you choose Martyrdom, you are admitted into Paradise, and get your 72 virgins.

And, look, it's tough to be a good Muslim. There are lots of rules -- even about how to piss.

And, if you're a good Muslim, you're probably not getting laid a lot.

But, even with the promise of Paradise, and 72 virgins, it's not easy to choose Martyrdom.

Farook had been thinking about it since at least 2011. That's how hard it is.

So, when people say that "most" Muslims aren't radicals, that most Muslims won't commit an act of terror, they're right. That doesn't mean that they don't think about it, and don't know that Jihad is required of them.

10. YankeeFan

And, btw, you know what makes choosing Martyrdom easier? Seeing others choose it.

Yes. Dick is right. Even Jihadists are copycats.

If no one was performing Jihad, it would be easy to excuse yourself for not embracing it. But, as it becomes more frequent, there are less excuses.

It's becoming more frequent in North America -- Canada, though it' foreign policy is not in lock step with us is not immune from this either, as we've already seen -- and unless we get a handle on it now, it's only going to increase.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think this lax policy probably leads to more transgressions. How often does someone kill someone or break one of the lesser commandments and say, "Oops, we're all sinners!" Nobody ever takes full responsibility.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Ok. So, what do we do about it?

Draft saved Draft deleted