1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

France's Muslim population is just shy of 10%, or about 10 times what our percentage of Muslims is.

Would we be better off, less off, or the same, if we increased our Muslim population to 10%?

Would we remain better at "integrating" Muslims into our society than France?

Would we expect a tenfold increase in terror acts committed by Muslims, and if not, why not?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But as Christians, you're following the word of the son of God, who, as it has been shown, isn't always nice.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I hope you're prepared to answer to Inky for this statement!

4. Baron Scicluna

So does every kid who believes in Santa Claus.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

But you've made it abundantly clear that their religion is fundamentally at odds with our values, and they're not permitted to deviate from it at all. So, what you actually want appears to be "Muslims" who aren't actually "Muslims" in any way, shape or form.

And, how would we know if they "share our values?" If they check that box on the immigration form? And, you need to square "Muslims who don't share our values" with "most Muslims would never commit acts of terror, but know that jihad is spelled out in the Koran." Should they be banned simply for being aware of the worst parts of their religious doctrine?

If so, then we ARE actually at war with Islam. And, that being the case, we should surrender now because there's no chance we'll win a war against 1.3 billion people.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  6. Baron Scicluna

And get a free religion ID card!

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

A little self-awareness, please, Baron. For your own good.

8. Baron Scicluna

I won't need to be self-aware. My new religion ID card will do it for me.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, you are absolutely, positively wrong.

You accused every Muslim of either thinking about committing terrorist acts or being ignorant of their faith. Plus you ignore the words of the foremost Islamic scholars in the Middle East who say what the terrorists are doing is a bastardization of the concept of jihad (which actually means "struggle" in Arabic, a Muslim can fight a jihad against alcoholism for example).

10. Mr. Sunshine

Ignorance, indeed.

11. Mr. Sunshine

If enough people are bastardizing the concept so that their "enemies" are being killed daily around the world, don't you think it's important not to ignore that? Do you really think that pretending a problem doesn't exists -- and fighting to remain ignorant of it -- is helpful to anyone but the people who are the problem?

And as I asked cran, how do you square the general dismissal of women and hatred of guys and Jews that is common among Muslims with your supposed liberal ideal of tolerance?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted