1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

al-Baghdadi is an Islamic scholar.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Little bit of overkill with the fingertips once the head is lopped off.

Unless they do fingertips first, which would make them sadists.

old_tony likes this.
  3. SnarkShark

I wonder what those represent in the "internal struggle."

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

People read the Bible and claim it supports the idea blacks are inferior. Lifting quotes out of context is fun.

There is a lot of literature - hundreds of years worth - on the meaning of jihad. If I remember correctly, there are four versions of it - some external, most internal.

I'd hate for Christianity as whole to be judged by the actions of a teeny, tiny percentage. So I extend the same respect to other religions.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It really is becoming his best -- and most obsessive -- work.

6. SnarkShark

The same tired excuses. Christian terrorism does not equal Muslim terrorism, not in this age, and not even close to on the same scale.

The equivalency argument is maddening.

And it's not teeny, tiny percentage. I'll post this report for the thousandth time on this site, and maybe it will sink in this time.

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf

Go to page 29.

Percentage of Muslims who say suicide bombing in the defense of Islam is "often/sometimes" justified.

Palestinian territories - 40%
    Afghanistan - 39%
    Egypt - 29%
    Bangladesh - 26%
    Malaysia - 18%
    Jordan - 15%
    Turkey - 15%
    Pakistan - 13%
    Tunisia - 12%
    Morocco - 9%
    Indonesia - 7%
    Iraq - 7%
    Russia - 4%

From page 36.

"In the U.S., about eight-in-ten Muslims (81%) say that suicide bombing and similar acts targeting civilians are never justified. Across the globe, a median of roughly seven-in-ten Muslims (72%) agrees."

That means 19% of American Muslims and 28% of Muslims in the world think suicide bombings are sometimes justified. Again, not teeny and not tiny.

Sure, the majority of Muslims think terrorism is never justified, but 19% of American Muslims is a pretty damn big chunk.

old_tony likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I never said they were the same. Hell, I never mentioned Christian terrorism at all.

I'd hate for Christians to be judged by the opinions held by 19 or 28 percent about the actions of a teeny, tiny subset. I'd hate cops to be judged for the opinions a minority hold about the actions of a sliver as well.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I wonder how many think that bombing Planned Parenthood clinics or killing Doctors who perform legal abortions are justified.
    I bet there are a couple of million Americans who say those acts are justified in the name of their religion.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

10. SnarkShark

I'm not judging all Muslims that way. I just don't subscribe that this type of Islam is a "bastardized." It is explicitly in the text. And its support is more mainstream than people claim. The numbers I cited were a substantial, even though they are the minority.

11. SnarkShark

Let me know when that research comes out, and if the numbers are similar, it will be equally appalling.

old_tony likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted