1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's why I'm shocked it was wrong, your links are known to be truthful and accurate 99% of the time.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Bush handed the ball to Obama with a 35-0 lead, only to watch the worst president in history take a knee in his own end zone 20 times.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I tend to run into trouble when posting links from left-wing sites. Shocking, hey?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I know. I'm glad this was your only mistake.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Correct. I'm not sure anyone here is saying anything substantially different.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Inky feels we're attacking all of Islam.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not to speak for him, but Inky looked like he was arguing which "side" was the one distorting Islam.

Either way, it's a pretty big stretch to think there are people here who don't realize the threat of Islamic terrorism.

I mean, there are dumb people here, but I haven't seen any of them post on his thread.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Is everyone willing to have a military draft?

Is everyone willing to pay increased taxes to pay for this?

Notice, you never hear the chickenhawk Republicans ask these questions.

9. Baron Scicluna

Oh for fuck's sake. Bush gave up 10 runs in the first inning after ignoring the scouting report by throwing fastballs when the scouts told him not to, lied about the fastballs and said they were changeups when interviewed by the TV reporter in the dugout, then when Obama came in to relieve him, we scored 10 runs to tie it. Now Obama gave up a run in the eighth inning, and the Bush supporters are blaming him for blowing the game.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In regards to the economy?

11. Baron Scicluna

In Iraq, Bush tore down the goalposts just because he caught the opening kickoff without fumbling it.

Ace likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'll take one more crack at this...

I don't think that simply condemning terror attacks, or declaring ISIS non-Islamic qualifies you as a moderate.

I think the difference between a "radical" Muslim and what might simply be described as a "very religious" Muslim is negligible. The literal word of the Koran, and the teachings/example of Mohammed, are quite radical, so as one becomes more religious, he quite naturally also becomes more radical.

This also means that nearly every "moderate" Muslim is a candidate for "radicalization". It's why so many guys who nobody thought were on a path to radicalization turn out radical when they become more religious.

I also think that a lot of what we might assume are "moderate" Mosques, led by "moderate" Imams hold some extremely ugly/hateful views. The moderate view on the state of Israel, on women's rights, on apostasy, on rape, on gay rights, on religious rights, on Western values may be very different than what you and I would normally define as moderate.

I think we have no good way to determine who is a moderate Muslim, and who is a "radical" Muslim.

And, we have no idea what is being preached at the local Mosque. Is your local Mosque/Imam moderate? How would you know? Are there sermons being preached there that could lead someone towards radicalization? Are guys hanging out and playing basketball, and watching propaganda videos?

And, should we only rely on "our partners in the Muslim community" to help and identify potential sources/targets of radicalization, or do we need to investigate what's being preached at the local Mosque?

Draft saved Draft deleted