1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hopefully you live in a house with no mirrors.

3. old_tony

Shit, you don't even know what game they're playing. That explains a lot.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So we're losing 40-35? Alcoa Fantastic Finish?

old_tony likes this.
  5. old_tony

We had a chance, but Obama punted on first down from the opponent's 10.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

So bush, who played baseball, and obama, who is a basketball guy, coached america in a football game against isis? No wonder we are losing.

Songbird likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

@SnarkShark where, exactly, did I say radical Islam wasn't a threat?

The difference is I don't think every - or even most - Muslims are radical. And I think those Muslims will have to solve the cancer within their faith. All the bombs and bullets we have won't win a theological battle.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

To be fair, OT has such poor seats he can't read the scoreboard.

JC likes this.
  10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Then we agree, mostly. The point I and others are making is that it's not that radical. The support is substantial, otherwise it wouldn't be a problem.

And I never contended every or most Muslims agree with the terrorism. I cited stats that supported that.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Very rigorous vetting process:

Tashfeen Malik, who with her husband carried out the massacre in San Bernardino, Calif., passed three background checks by American immigration officials as she moved to the United States from Pakistan. But none uncovered what Ms. Malik had made little effort to hide — that she talked openly on social media about her views on violent jihad.

She said she supported it. And she said she wanted to be a part of it.

American law enforcement officials said they recently discovered those old — and previously unreported — postings as they pieced together the lives of Ms. Malik and her husband, Syed Rizwan Farook, trying to understand how they pulled off the deadliest terrorist attack on American soil since Sept. 11, 2001.

Had the authorities found the posts years ago, they might have kept her out of the country. But immigration officials do not routinely review social media as part of their background checks, and there is a debate inside the Department of Homeland Security over whether it is even appropriate to do so.

The discovery of the old social media posts has exposed a significant — and perhaps inevitable — shortcoming in how foreigners are screened when they enter the United States, particularly as people everywhere disclose more about themselves online. Tens of millions of people are cleared each year to come to this country to work, visit or live. It is impossible to conduct an exhaustive investigation and scour the social media accounts of each of them, law enforcement officials say.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/u...-on-social-media-about-jihad-were-missed.html

Draft saved Draft deleted