1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw the CMA's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm seeing him Thursday night and I'm tempted to get a t-shirt printed that has "Sportswriter" across the front like Bluto's "College" sweatshirt.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Tough week for fans of country and bluegrass music. On June 23, we lost bluegrass legend Jesse McReynolds, who at the time of his death was the oldest living member of the Grand Old Opry. The mandolin innovator, a founding member with his brother of the group known variously as the McReynolds Brothers, the Virginia Boys or the Virginia Trio had entered hospice a couple of weeks prior. He was 94.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/bluegrass-legend-oldest-living-opry-member-jesse-mcreynolds-dies/

With his passing, Bobby Osborne became the Opry’s oldest solo member, but he died on June 27 at the age of 91.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/oldest-living-opry-member-bluegrass-great-bobby-osborne-dies/

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For Isbell fans, there was a great interview segment with him on NPR a week ago, I'd post it, but you know - just google it. Worth a listen.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

In my mind ... she can be annoyed, but you don't stop the show for it. If it was causing such a problem that it was disturbing a large group of people in that area, then security would deal with it. The people she complained about paid money to be there. You don't get to dictate how they enjoy a show (within good reason, of course.)
    Just saw the video with the one woman that was singled out. If that was from their seat, fine. If they were moving up and being a problem, then I see the issue. It wasn't addressed by GMA from what I could tell in that piece.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. 2muchcoffeeman

Jason Aldean canceled a concert last weekend because he was dehydrated from playing golf all day. That guy is about as country as Arthur Fonzarelli.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Never been a fan - and his success is one of the reasons I don't listen to as much country as I used to. The music is still good, but the lyrics are all posturing, and rarely about anything real.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I refuse to listen to longing for the “good old days” from a southerner.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm befuddled by the "no one bothered to say don't do that" part of the tweet.

Why the hell would anyone say that? This is modern country and this is solidly on brand for him. It's racist bullshit for racist morons.

Morgan Wallen's sales spiked immediately when he screamed racial slurs. This is what country music is now.

Aldean reminds me of that line in the Bo Burnham song:

I write songs for the people who do
    Jobs in the towns that I'd never move to

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Draft saved Draft deleted