1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw the CMA's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Nov 13, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I see you and I raise you with Brooks and Dunn "Play Something Country" and Trace Atkins "HnnkyTonkbadonkadonk."

2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I always thought that guys like Alan Jackson were too slick/pop, and the wave in that era. Looking back they were much better than the bro country era, but not my idea of three chords and the truth.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I like and have on my playlist:
    1 Jason Aldean song
    2 Luke Bryan songs

I know there are some other Bro Country artists that I've heard their names, but I don't know any of their music and couldn't pick them out of a lineup.

I do like Luke Combs.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Alan Jackson was never pop. Wrote a bunch of his own music, played pretty hardcore country, sixty-something No. 1 hits. Also cut a helluva bluegrass album.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Country-pop crossover just didn't happen between 1982 and the modern day. Like it or not, Billy Ray Cyrus achieved that in 1992.

It continues today with some Nashville acts like Thomas Rhett, who isn't country. I'm looking forward to the next Thomas Rhett rock concert.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

*pop concert

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is really the only dirt roads, river, beer song I need. And it came out more than 10 years ago. I think this song was meant as a joke, but the rest of Nashville took it seriously.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Used to play a game with my buddies called Dead, Drunk, or Divorced. We would watch country music videos and try to guess which of the three the song was about.

Blake Shelton song — drunk, obviously.

9. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

With my daughters it was hurting, drinking or cheating song. My works was done when I got the answer “he’s drinking because he’s hurting because she was cheating”.

TheSportsPredictor likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

Thanks anyway, but I'd rather hang out with the old farts and jackasses.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

She just started liking cheatin' songs
    And what's bothering me
    I don't know it it's the cheatin' she likes
    Or just the melodies

Last edited: Jul 8, 2024
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That or "He's drinking because he's hurting because he got caught cheating".

Tighthead and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted