1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC Football Writers

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tdell8, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Same here.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I'm out of the business full-time now after 14 years as a college beat writer - took a communications job a year ago. I started off making between $40-$60 per article but now make no less than $75 per article from a variety of sources, and have made up to $450 for longer features for preseason magazines, etc.
    I'd turn my nose up at $25 per article, but I suppose if you think it'll help you get your foot in the door, go for it. Still can't help feeling like people are being taken advantage of here, knowing what I know about freelance.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That website is a hot mess.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Just heard back. Didn't get selected. Guess two decades in the business isn't veteran enough. Anyone get chosen? :)

5. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Lol Steve I hear ya. I didn't either. No hard feelings either. It is what it is.

steveu likes this.
  6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

None for me either. Wish them the best. Interested to see what type of writers end up hired.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If you look at their staff list, you can probably get a good idea: bearded, white bros with limited experience.

Saturday Down South - Saturday Down South

8. braven24

braven24 New Member

That's essentially my resume. What gives?

9. CarolinaGuy

CarolinaGuy New Member

I worked five years as a staff writer covering prep and (ACC) college football at a daily in North Carolina before joining SDS full-time. Not exactly limited experience.

LesJ9488 likes this.
  10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Shrug, I guess limited is a relative term.

11. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

I don't think he's disputing the bearded part of the equation, however!

braven24 likes this.
  12. Sarcastro

Sarcastro New Member

This is so insulting. I wish I had been here when this was posted to call this guy out for the unbelievable nerve he had to mention SDS' former Alabama writer. Christopher Walsh, a very talented veteran Bama writer with several books on his resume, was blindsided with a layoff after last season. Great writer. Great guy. Laid off. And now this Christopher Smith guy wants prospective freelancers to join SDS presumably with only one eye open.

Sorry, but SDS is what is wrong with "new media." It's a growing network of websites with solid traffic, but instead of cultivating an audience they hold ritual layoffs every December to save a few months worth of salary.

Shame on them.

Draft saved Draft deleted