1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Dictators hate self-interest.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Anything but sit back and watch it happen. You're free to do that if you wish.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah and anyone whose first thoughts after a mass shooting is "Oh shit, now they're going to take my guns" is a selfish prick who really needs to reexamine his priorities in life.

BDC99 likes this.
  4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's not going to happen.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So, I guess, in your scenario, our standing military (on which we spend hundreds of billions every year in defense of our country and way of life) is in on the invasion?

Or, are you just an added layer of protection?

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

"Pretty sure" isn't enough for me. Sorry. All I'm saying is we need to have the ability to protect ourselves.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

@BDC99 I'm just trying to figure out who is currently living under a dictatorship in what used to be a free nation. Are there any?

(Admittedly, it's Friday afternoon and we have the office ping pong table set up so my brain is already in weekend mode.)

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty silly to think a citizens army, now matter how many guns it could muster, could somehow stand up to stop a government run amuck or a military coup (or whatever the conspiracy theory du jour happens to be) backed by a $600 billion military budget, so I'm not going to spend an ounce of energy worrying about it.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

People who think they can fight the government with semi-automatic rifles are just silly and are wasting money.

I sneeze into a jar whenever I get sick and have quite a collection of bio-weapons to unleash.

If you come at me, you better wash your hands in warm, soapy water for at last 30 seconds afterward.

Smallpotatoes and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If the government ever comes for you (unlikely), you aren't holding them off with an AR-15 or anything else. That's paranoid thinking, that you need to stock it for the "what if" of the government coming for you. Unless you're a media member after Donald Trump becomes president; in that case, they just might, but an AR-15 will still do fuck-all to stop 'em.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't own a gun, and likely never will. But just because my sidearm or hunting rifle is no match for the military or whatever else doesn't mean I shouldn't have a right to give it a shot if it comes to that. Fucking absolutes around this place. Christ. I wish I lived in this black/white world so many of you live in.

old_tony likes this.
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And that's the first time in my life I've been described as paranoid, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted