1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking Michael J. Fox Ad in MO Senate Race

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 24, 2006.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Michael J. Fox became an American citizen several years ago. Since his children were being raised in the U.S., he wanted to be able to vote and have a voice in the governments that were making decisions about his children's futures.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who gives a crud about children once they are out of the womb? Especially the spawn of foreigners. What a liberal whacko!

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

For America to really be the "Land of the Free," we have to be the Land of Personal Responibility. As personal responsibility fades, the government is forced to start legislating responibility more and more.

We should be free to choose to eat fried Twinkies and smoke two packs a day and gamble. But if we do, we should have enough personal responsibility and character to admit that it's our fault we're fat, have lung cancer and can't pay rent.

4. JackS

JackS Member

Yeah, well said if you're willing to accept the false premises that the government has effectively banned ESC research or that government backing is the only way to advance it. PLENTY of medical research discoveries have been made outside the auspices of government. The only reason ESC research is any different is because its success is such a fantastic long shot that the private sector mostly doesn't believe it will ever come to fruition. So far ESC research--and some *is* being conducted--has done nothing (except cause tumors), while ASC research has done plenty (while not destroying any embryos). But all you hear is bitch, bitch, bitch about no stem cell research. The suckered general public has no clue. I even posted a Boston Globe article here about a year ago that brought the good news that ESC research might possibly be conducted without destroying embryos at some point, and you could've heard friggin' crickets chirping. Not one response to news that could galvanize even your dreaded Christian enemies in favor of ESC research. I guess nobody wanted to give the president an ounce of credit for a stance that could eventually make just about everybody happy.

And furthermore, who gives a damn if we're losing great stem cell "minds" to foreign countries? If ESC breakthroughs are made in Canada or Europe or wherever, are they going to hoard the discoveries and keep them secret from us? That goes against everything in the history of medical science until now, but apparently dog thinks it only counts if America discovers it.

-30-

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

A stem cell bill will probably be approved by the next Admin. A majority of the country wants it... A lot of Republicans want it... We just are going to have to wait a little over 2 years.

I've never understood why those opposed to stem cell research aren't campaigning for an end to fertility clinics. Afterall, it's the fertility clinics that are tossing the embryos.

But trust me, you'll never see Bush get involved with the fertility clinics. Because Laura got fertility treatment, and the twins wouldn't be here without it.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Name one.
    Seriously. I'm not trying to be a smartaleck but I have written about this. Every medical discovery since 1950 (probably earlier, I just used 1950 as the jumping off point) have received some sort of funding from the federal government. Either it was a public university or grants from NIH or thr post-docs getting federal grants for their education. Every medical school intern is federally supported, whether they are from a private or public medical school.
    Or the labs that they worked in got federal grants to pay for the equipment. The list of ways on how the government pays for research is endless.
    The surprising thing to me is even people like Limbaugh gave Nancy Reagan the cold shoulder when she came out in support of stem cell research. What a liberal whack job she is.
    And the thing about pure research, the kind of work being done with stem cells, is that the scientists don't know where it could go, but they all seem to think it is up. The only comparable thing is in electronics when people thought vacumn tubes were the be all and end all, could they imagine a time where tiny slivers of silicon rule the world?
    Oh, and I love how a thread on a Michael J. Fox ad can hit the Baltimore Catechism. Nice work.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I only knew that because of "Lost in the Flood" A non-Springsteen fan said that she had a great Bruce trivia question that I couldn't answer -- what Springsteen lyric contains an error in Catholic teaching? I didn't get "nuns run bald through Vatican halls pregnant, pleading immaculate conception".

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

And another moron chimes in. And I'm not tossing moron around here because I don't like what you said. I'm using it because what you said is moronic, and the last part is particularly shortsighted and ignorant.

I'd take the time to explain why, but I'm not so sure you'd understand it or even read it.

That's the biggest problem here. The issue has been politicized now, so no matter the actual facts, people are going to fall right in line with whatever their political side says.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So wait, if Canada comes up with a cure for Parkinsons or, god willing, cancer, and uses ESC to do it, will the conservative ideologues on this thread be cool with watching family members die of those diseases despite cures being available that were discovered through methods their church didn't agree with? I don't know the answer, and I bet they don't either. I do know it's a lot easier to talk tough and act righteous when it ain't your family or your loved ones involved.

My great-grandfather died of Parkinsons. My grandfather died of Parkinsons. My oldest uncle is worried he might be showing some early symptoms. I suppose I might have it some day.

But hey, I guess if some people want to have 30 tiny little funerals every time someone accidental unplugs the petri dish refrigerator in a Johns Hopkins lab, that's their business.

Everyone's faith is relative. In some African cultures, they don't believe life actually begins until you give the child a name. Who is to say they're wrong? It's their faith, right? If you're going to throw out science, then Christians have no more evidence to prove life begins at conception than you do saying it begins when a child gets a name.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I believe he went off his meds for the spot.

Exactly as he should have.

11. JackS

JackS Member

Jonas Salk was funded by the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis. And the beauty of it was, the organization was founded by FDR as a charity whereby people were asked to DONATE rather than commandeering everyone's money via taxes...

After FDR issued his proclamation announcing the creation of the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis on September 23, 1937, to carry on the battle against polio on a national basis, it was left to Eddie Cantor and other promoters to organize a fundraising strategy for the next Birthday Balls in California. On November 22, 1937, Cantor met with W. S. Van Dyke II and Harry Mazlish of Warner Brothers in the office of John Considine, Jr. in the studios of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer to discuss their plans. In the meeting, Cantor recalled a successful 30-second radio appeal for relief funds after a catastrophic Mississippi River flood. Applying this idea to the National Foundation, Cantor said, “I am sure that all of the national radio programs originating in Hollywood would devote 30 seconds to this great cause!” He suggested that the money raised could be directed to the White House, pending the approval of the President. After another moment of reflection he suggested, “We could call it the March of Dimes.”

With the polio vaccines developed by Jonas Salk, MD in 1955, and Albert Sabin, MD in 1962, made possible by March of Dimes funds, the polio epidemics in the United States swiftly abated.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

The star-studded GOP response to the Fox ad:

Draft saved Draft deleted