1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking Michael J. Fox Ad in MO Senate Race

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 24, 2006.

1. The most successful politician is he who says what the people are thinking most often in the loudest voice.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Amuse yourself with a picture of Yaz, little boy.

3. The reactionary is always willing to take a progressive attitude on any issue that is dead.

4. Scribe4264

Scribe4264 Member

Didn't say to junk all research, just to acknowledge that embryonic stem cell research is a waste of time and resources. The main problem with embryonic stem cells is that they (the stem cells) are still trying to sort out exactly what it is they are going to become and there is really no way to control the outcome (thus the cancerous growth full of human bone and hair removed from the patient's head after embryonic stem cells were implanted in a case in the Far East - it was either Japan or China, not sure which)
    By using adult stem cells, there is improved control over the outcome and more chance of attaining the desired result.
    Right now, the advocates of embryonic stem cells are looking every bit as believeable as the nutjobs running around in 1975 talking about Global Cooling and how we needed to melt the polar ice caps to save the planet.
    30 years later, we're talking about how bad it is that the caps are melting. 30 years from now, I'm betting we'll be talking about how idiotic it was to consider using embryonic stem cells to treat medical illnesses.

5. Scribe4264

Scribe4264 Member

Better to be the Lord of all the Cinnabons than King of the dickheads, a title you so richly deserve FB.

You know, as a general rule, I am against abortion. But I wish your mother had made an exception in your case Fenian. You are a sad little shit.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's just disturbing.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just remember, he's got four free hours in an airport and one free hand, so...

8. Scribe4264

Scribe4264 Member

And one more brain than you deary....

9. Scribe4264

Scribe4264 Member

Besides, that was so 8 hours ago. I've flown to my destination and am safely settled in to my home computer.

10. JackS

JackS Member

Hoo boy. Not that I don't agree with a lot of what the scribe has said, but what terrible presentation skills. The dog may soon be begging for a moron like me to come back.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Limbaugh's "argument" shows his and much of America's shallowness. They (on both sides) focus on MJF's bobbing head, when they should be concerned with his description of ESC research as "life saving" and "the most promising." Says who? That spot is 100% emotion and 0% fact.

Contrast that with the Missouri ad featuring opposing actors and athletes which presents fact after fact, but probably isn't as effective because it doesn't tug on the heartstrings.

ESC advocates want to make this issue a "no brainer," which it isn't. Opponents want to make it a thinking man's issue, which it is. So far, the "no brainers" have been winning in the court of public opinion. I'm not surprised.

11. Jack --
    Keep digging. There's a pony under there somewhere. There is a consensus -- solid and unmoving -- among the people who know the most about ESC that at the very least it is worth funding heavily and going forward with. The opposition to it is not scientific, nor even truly religious, or there'd be GOP ads across America arguing that in vitro clinics be closed. It's pure base-ginning. And if you think that's the thoughful side of the debate, well, what can I say. You're wrong.

Here's one Chris didn;t get to yet:

"The man of great wealth owes a particular obligation to the state, because he derives special advantages from the mere existence of government."

12. JackS

JackS Member

There was also once a consensus that the world was flat.

Show some results.

Draft saved Draft deleted