1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking Michael J. Fox Ad in MO Senate Race

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 24, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You implied he got no government funding. He did, and that's not the only project he did for the Vatican. Sure it's not the sum total of his life's work, but it was a huge part of it.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo makes shit up as he goes along. Everyone knows that.

Also, everybody knows that if you want to put an end to a programme that relies on government funding, you cut off the funding. I mean, it's kindergarten politics. But apparently beyond Hondo, Lyman and their ILK.

And all these loony tunes evangelicals would shit themselves if the government cut off scientific research in .....the military.

If the morally bankrupt right wing have provided us with anything it's a whole dictionary of code words and phrases.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

More weaselling from Hondo.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wasn't even a huge part of it. Go read a book. Pay attention in class. The Sistine Chapel was high on his resume but it was hardly all there was, and just because the Pope commissioned it doesn't put it on the same level as the current system of government funding for scientists and artists.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Maybe you can't spit in Canada without government funding. But scientists and artists in the U.S. have frequently been a little more self-reliant.

And we sort of need to pay for the military ... because when someone needs bailed out of a war or invasions, they don't pick up the phone and call Ottawa.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Banting & Best's insulin research was all done at the University of Toronto, a tax funded institution.

That's why U of T named their Department of Medical Research after them.

You know, the "if it's government, it must be bad" crowd get kinda tiresome after a while. They keep repeating the same old dreck they heard from either Reagan or their parents and keep repeating ad nauseam.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I'm not sure what literature you've been reading that says otherwise. Scientists are very clear that they need funding because this is such a trial-and-error thing right now.

One thing I don't do is take extreme positions because they were handed out as talking points on my favorite TV show. There are no perfect game plans and there are no perfect policies.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I freely admit I've not followed the stem cell debate closely. If my wife and I have a baby, and I donate the umbilical cord containing stem cells to scientists are they not allowed to use them in research?

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Shockingly I learned about the Sistine Chapel in an art history class, and most large works of art at the time were commissioned by governments. Try again, asshat.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, Fox says in is book that he purposely goes off his meds for dramatic effect when he does things such as testify before Congress. But I guess we can't take his word for it because that would make Rush look correct and we know how the left couldn't have that. So let's keep living the lie like the lefties. It makes life so much easier.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

This is just a game for you. People who throw phrases like "lefties" around don't care about government, just "hooray for our side!"

12. JackS

JackS Member

Talk about bullshit. Banting and Best did indeed do their research at U of T after badgering a professor there until they finally were given some lab space, 10 dogs, and a medical student assistant.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/databank/entries/dm22in.html

Since I'm a magnanimous guy, I hereby authorize the United States government to provide the same to ESC research.

Draft saved Draft deleted