1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking, shocking: Leyland blows cork at media

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Aug 26, 2006.

1. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

I think the question was about whether he was mad about Sean Casey's lack of hustle on getting thrown out from left field. It seemed to be obvious to everyone that that was a blunder, not a hustle play, so perhaps that's why he was mad.
    Leyland is not a pushover, or a guy who will look the other way or brush it off when he feels he's being mis-treated. He screamed at the reporters after a win because they had asked Verlander if he was hurt when Leyland had told them earlier he was not, he thought they were going behind his back. But he wants to have a good relationship with the writers and will work at it.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Good relationship??" He's had nothing except a full-throttle fellatiofest since the day he arrived. Every time he picks his nose or wipes his ass, there's another flurry of stories about his "savvy baseball wisdom," "seasoned experience," "crafty brilliance," blah blah yadda yadda. The Tigers beat writers take moves which are, quite frankly, stupid, and construct bizarro-world "motivational" rationales after the fact that explain why, even though it might SEEM that batting a guy with a .230 OBP leadoff, or guys who haven't hit home runs in months in the 3 and 4 slots, makes no sense, there is "method to his madness."

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I wasn't there. I haven't heard any sound bites.

But was this seriously "blowing his cork" or just dismissing a question as not worth answering?

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It wasn't really blowing his cork. I don't think he raised his voice. Hell, win or lose, you can barely hear Leyland in the post game pressers/soundbites.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I wish Leyland was back in Pittsburgh. Not a big fan of Jim "Don't Blame Me" Tracy.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Uh....it does seem like the results have been pretty good.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Haven't they won a whole bunch of games and shit? Guy must be doing something right.

As for Casey *** just a screw up. Casey isn't a dog. He thought the ball got caught. It didn't.
    Man's as slow as I am, though.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'd hope so, Moddy. Casey's slower than a freaking glacier.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, then, so he's a little faster than I am.
    I don't move so good anymore.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I saw Casey play a series earlier this year and he might be the worst player without horrid stats in MLB. He can't move at all at first. He can't run. He doesn't have power.

A truly great guy and a deceptively bad player.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's a complete 180 from the days when Cito Gaston got credit for filling out the lineup card and nothing else from the Toronto media and 90% of the super-geniuses on the radio call-in shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted