1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I at least suggest a newly hired colleague consider a different profession?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It's a part-time job. If you don't like it or don't want to do it, move on. If he starts sending parents after you, sue him for harassment.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I think we all owe it to the next generation to be as brutally honest as possible about this beautiful, soul-sucking, enriching, evil, wonderful profession. There is an amazing sense of purpose and accomplishment in being a journalist - a sense that is no longer worth it in so many ways. For some, the juice is worth the squeeze, but I wouldn't want my kids doing it. I've had more opportunities than most, and I'll still forever feel like I underachieved. I would give anything to stop someone I cared about from feeling the same feeling.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yes I’m sure the local fast food franchisees are going to blackball you from these $15/hour cashier jobs they are wildly desperate to fill just so they don’t break Mr. Publisher’s code of Little League omertà. For God’s sake listen to how you sound.

SFIND likes this.
  4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Accomplishing a lifelong goal = not underachievement.
    I would want any 23-year-old kid to be at the big game like they always dreamed.
    Professional guidance is in our anthropological DNA going back to Lascaux, but I don't equate that to pouring cold water on one's ambitions.

Part of being an old is keeping certain opinions to yourself.

Fdufta likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

@Smallpotatoes is this you?

dixiehack and Slacker like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think journalism now for the most part is something you do between college and going to grad school. Personally, it WAS my grad school, exposing me to parts of society that you wouldn't otherwise want to "meet." Murderers, sex offenders, abusive parents and too many grieving family members to count.

It's truly a disgrace that the profession has seen that a factually vacant angry tweet now has more impact than a Pulitzer-worthy story.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not say things we can't take back later.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Are you talking to Mr. X, Mr. X's new co-worker, or both?

Mr. X, although both probably should get out of there.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

10. Regan MacNeil

Jesus Christ.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This really is low-key one of the craziest, most pathetic threads we've had.

dixiehack and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Can’t hit a curveball. Buddha told me so.

Draft saved Draft deleted