1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"shucked & jived" offensive?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nutgraph, May 15, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The problem though, is that you're not the one who gets to decide whether it's offensive.

It's the person who gets offended.

It's the "water buffalo" issue, come calling again ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_buffalo_incident

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Well, I've never had anyone tell me if they were offended. Now if they thoguht we weren;t giving them enough coverage, they would raise 800 kinds of shit.

But, any blacks on her offended by the term cakewalk?

And papers use an offensive word every Sunday during football season. Redskins anyone?

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember the water buffalo thing.
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    And remember kids, never call an athlete a "spear chucker" even if he throws the javelin.
    No one is amused, well I was in college when I called a black QB, who was an All-American as a javelin thrower, a spear chucker in the campus paper. It didn't make it to print, but I did nearly give the paper's adviser a stroke when he saw it in my copy.

4. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

I agree that political correctness has run amok, but I don't think this is a case of it. Does anyone really feel that they will be stifled in the future because they can't say "shucked and jived?"

Gutierrez wrote something that he didn't intend as a racial comment, the Sac Bee apparently has no intentions of disciplining him, and everyone has learned -- for the future -- that it is not a term they should use. Seems like that's the end of the story. Why the outrage that someone is offended? Would anyone ever describe a white guy as "shucking and jiving?"

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But what if you think you do? I would never have known "shines" was racial. I would never have known cakewalk was (though I don't think I've ever used it). I mean, at some point it's common sense of what one knows. I can't look up every single term I use to see if 100 years ago it was considered upsetting.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I don't know. Most white are getting their skulls pounded by guys who shuck and jive around the ring. ;)

7. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

the problem isn't that he said "shucked and jived." it's that he used the phrase pretty improperly. i don't think i've ever heard someone use "shuck and jive" in a way that wasn't figurative. unless mayweather's smirks and the like counted as jiving. i honestly wouldn't know what shucking looks like. does anyone else?

8. Apparently "piece of cake" comes from the same etemology.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What about "cake boy" is that offensive?

10. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Honest question. Would the term "juke and jive" be offensive?

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

juke no, jive maybe to some. Except Barbara Billinglsey, and these guys

[​IMG]

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What about juke and hive

Draft saved Draft deleted