1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Since there isn't an all-purpose women's golf thread ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 2, 2006.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wie is a sixteen year old who nearly became the youngest major champion in the history of golf.

She gets sponsor exemptions into mens tournaments; why? publicity. What is the applicable standard for males to get those exemptions? Same reason, wild card publicity. Sometimes do not even have to be a scratch golfer. Hell, Mark Rypien got one once as I recall simply for being an NFL quarterback. What's the difference there?

Just another opportunity to knock women, simple as that.

2. KP

KP Active Member

Who was that doing the walkoff interview with Wie? Had his hand on her right shoulder the ENTIRE time, clearly freaked her out, she tried stepping away.

So much for it being a survival of the fittest with the 36 holes on Sunday.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

OK, wait a minute. SHE'S 16, has two top 15 finishes in the U.S. Women's Open (including a tie for third this year), two top fives in the LPGA Championship (including second in 2005), four top 15s in the other two majors (including two thirds and a fourth) and you're going to try to tell me she doesn't belong in the Women's Open because she didn't qualify for it? Are you insane? Here's a news flash: Wie belongs in the Women's Open. She's one of the four or five best female golfers on the planet right now, and she's just a golfing baby. Once more: SHE'S 16!!!!

The men might not always be outdriving her by 100 yards (and I'm not sure they are now). And you know she'll never make a cut? She's come pretty darn close a couple of times already and -- one more time -- SHE'S 16. There are plenty of guys who don't hit the ball a mile and compete quite well on tour. I'd love to see Michelle complete and win a PGA Tour event. I think she is great for the game. I love that she has the guts and, maybe soon, the game to go after the boys.

Oh, did I mention --- SHE'S ONLY 16!

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The USGA had legitimate reasons to grant Wie an exemption. And she definitely proved herself as being worthy of that exemption with her performance this weekend.

I think this was a big step for her. Did she win the tournament? No, but what's more important is that she didn't lose it. Annika and Hurst simply outplayed her down the stretch. And Wie looked way more relaxed on a final nine of a major than I've ever seen her before.

I've been critical of Wie trying to play against the men and how that may hinder her development. But I believe that she'll win at least one women's major before she turns 18.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nice try, but you're still not getting any head anytime soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted