1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So who gets fired first?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lono, Dec 31, 2006.

1. prhack

prhack Member

Gritz Blitz, BABY!

Hey, maybe Art can buy June Jones away from Hawaii too :)

While we're at it, does anybody know if the old Swamp Fox is available (third time's the charm) :)

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I really hope Romeo sticks around for one more year.

3. Laugh if you will, but Dan Reeves was the one coach who showed he knew how to use Vick. He was only axed when the team sucked the year Vick missed the first 11 games. Obviously Blank won't bring him back, but he should swallow his pride and pick Reeves' brain, if he hasn't done that already.

4. boots

boots New Member

Mora shouldn't have gotten the job in the first place so when he's canned today, another mistake in Atlanta history will be corrected.
    Shell is safe. He's a good guy but sunfortunatley, he's going to have to chage with the times if he hopes to compete.
    Denny Green isn't in as much trouble as people think. He's had a couple of good drafts. I think they're gioing to give him one more season before taking action.
    Gruden is golden in Tampa Bay. That that to the bank.

5. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

Slappy, I hope you were joking.

Yeah, a guy in charge of a multi-billion dollar outfit would keep an awful coach and risk another pitiful year JUST so he can stick it to a reporter. Sounds about right.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Al Davis really needs to sell that team.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Mora---gone
    Shell---gone
    Green--gone
    Gruden---safe
    Crenell---safe

ESPN.com reports that Green was fired this morning.

oops D3 beat me to it.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That's not going to happen. Denny just got pink-slipped, according to ESPN News about several minutes ago.

He's not what we thought he was...the coach of the Cardinals!

Chef, not a problem at all. ;D

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0110cardinalsgreen-ON-CR.html

9. Good call once again Boots.

So your winner is Denny Green. But coming in a close second apparently is Mora. Falcons have called an afternoon press conference, per the AJC.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's blasphemy to call whatever scheme Glanville was running "Grits Blitz."

The real Grits Blitz was in the late 70s under Leeman Bennett - a much-loved man in the ATL.

I couldn't agree more with Ralph's post. The Falcons have had gimmicks in recent years -- the exception was the Reeves era. It's no coincidence they made it to the Super Bowl under him.

The current gimmick under Mora has been the passé West Coast Offense and going "small but quick" on defense. Any idiot can tell you SIZE, SIZE, SIZE and HARD HITTING and FUNDAMENTAL TACKLING is almost always the way to go in the NFL. Not finesse. Just look at the 40 Super Bowl Champions.

It's a shame -- Lovie Smith would've been the perfect guy for the Falcons.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Apparently, the answer to this question is Denny Green.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0110cardinalsgreen-ON-CR.html

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Mora fired, AP just alerted.

Draft saved Draft deleted