1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some sports scribe loves "My Boys"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shifty Squid, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Luggie,

I love you. Most of the board loves you, but comparing "My Boys" to "Sports Night" is like comparing Joey Harrington to Joe Montana.

"Sports Night" was brilliant because of the writing and the way the actors played off one another. On "My Boys" the acting is rather stale and forced.

I respect your right to like the show, but don't compare it to a classic.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

My only point for comparing the two shows was the problem of "THAT'S NOT WHAT IT'S LIKE."

And believe me, having worked as an associate producer on a sports studio show for 5 years, Sports Night was NOT WHAT IT WAS LIKE! ;D

It's difficult to enjoy a show about an industry you work in.

As for the stale, forced acting... yeah... I see what you mean, but I'm giving it a chance to evolve.

Hey -- I noticed Jamie Tarses is one of the executive producers -- the woman who's the basis for Amanda Peet's character on the hallowed Studio 60. That right there oughta be enough for some of you to give it a chance... ;)

3. Flash

Flash Guest

I had it on in the background last night, while I was doing my nails. The lead's voiceovers remind me of those girls that sit next to you in the food court at the mall and natter endlessly about their meaningless lives. You know, the kind of conversations that make you feel dumber for having overheard?

4. I was going to rip the column and then I read that "My Best Friend's Wedding" was the writer's "favorite movie."
    I just said what the hell at that point and drove a nail file into my brain.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Lugnuts, I told my wife that this show was kinda like Sex and the City, because she loved that show. She still wanted no part of it. I think that is part of the problem with My Boys. It's touching on a lot of target audiences, but I'm not sure it can satisfy any of them.

And this show isn't even close to Sports Night. I understand your point about the realism, but maybe we were willing to overlook things in Sports Night that were unrealistic becuase of the strong writing and the quality of the cast. This show has neither of those things going for it.

6. Is anyone going to point out that all the "Boys" on "My Boys" are a passel of dimwits? There was a subplot about plagiarism in last night's episode that came inches from being promising and then died a slow, painful death from sentences beginning with the word, "Dude."

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dude, you're right about that.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Girly chick flick, but a great flick. I loved Cameron Diaz in that one.

How can you not laugh at the scene where they break into "I Say a Little Prayer" at the dinner table?

I apologize, Fenian.

;D

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't believe we let you into the NIAFL.

I REALLY can't believe I let a girly girl who likes My Best Friend's Wedding beat me out for the no. 1 seed.

Fuckin shit. You are killing me Luggie. Kill...ing...me. :D

10. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Aside from my disdain of Jim Gaffagan, I would not normally watch, but I may check back to see if this show improves, but for me, what did it was that both she and her fellow writer from *a competing paper* both had the same night off to play poker.

Right, like that happens.

11. Good scene. Nay, perhaps, a great scene.
    But someone's "favorite movie"?
    Luggie, good god.
    "My Boys" would be better if she covered NASCAR by the way, if only for the voiceover narration double entendres about blowing out the clutch.
    OK, that was uncalled for.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but on behalf of the board, Fenian, we appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted