1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos - 5/13

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by melock, May 13, 2007.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Some more thoughts:

1. Chrissy shoulda used the stereo controls on the steering wheel -- he'd be alive today; also, wouldn't it have been hilarious if the Onstar voice had chimed in after the wreck?

2. I thought for sure during the scene with Carmella around the breakfast table that Tony was going to tell her that Chrissy had killed Adrianna. Clear that up once and for all.

3. Carmella lingered on Chrissy's nose -- she knows something's night right.

4. Tony clearly ends the show by yelling out (an admission or an exhultation, depending) to the universe, "I DID IT!"

5. I think AJ steps into Chrissy's gangster shoes.

2. Tony actually yells "I Get it." Not "I did it."

Scroll to the bottom of the link.

http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/episode/season6/episode83.shtml

3. He wouldn't be the first mob boss to enter witness protection. The government has made a deal with a mob boss before to bring down a corrupt FBI agent. Conceivably Tony could testify the one fish bigger than he - Phil. Do I think it will happen? Nah.

(Sorry if this is d_b, I'm still reading through the thread.)

4. somewriter

somewriter Member

I guess they would know, but I could have swown that the echo was "I did it." I rewound a couple of times because when he screams, it isn't clear. The echo is easier to understand.

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

6. I thought it was I Get it when I heard it watching it the first time, but I could see how it would sound like I did it. The key is, he actually mumbles I get it before he stands up and shouts it. It's a little easier to understand when he mumbles than when he yells. Doesn't make much sense, but it's a little more clear.

7. Thoughts on A.J.: Why can he stomach burning a guy's toes off but not the beating of the cyclist?

Is it because the toe guy was a player in the game, so to speak, or was it because the cyclist beating was close to a hate crime? Or both?

"Why can't we all just get along?"

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think that's the key. The gambling kid at least did something to bring on his injury -- the bike-riding guy really didn't. Wrong place, wrong time. He rolls down the street five seconds earlier or later, nothing happens.

And I don't overread A.J.'s breakdown in the shrink's office that he can "never handle" being in "the life." Tony shows remorse sometimes too -- the ruminations about Vito, the sympathy for his little daughter -- even though Tony is an evil amoral monster, he has momentary twinges of humanity, too. He probably had more of them when he was 20.

Or, maybe the meds were just hitting A.J. in a funny way that morning. (Maybe it was just sloppy writing??) It may not be completely his idea and he probably won't be ultimately successful at it, but I still bet A.J. gets dragged in in the end.

I mean, Tony Soprano Jr. is not going to be The Boss, ordering hits right and left, snapping his fingers at Sil and Paulie, in three weeks. He might be in 20 years, but we're never going to know. In three weeks, he'll probably be plotting with his buds to rip off the Blockbuster and the pizza joint where he used to work.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Damn HBO on demand.. am trying to watch it and it won't load...

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think AJ didn't mind the attack on the gambler, because the gambler "deserved" it. The cyclist was an exchange student doing things the right way. He didn't deserve an ass kicking.

11. I don't think it's sloppy writing. I think it was intentional. Sometime in these next few episodes, A.J. is going to have to decide once and for all whether he will join the life and we will be there watching ... with these two very distinct and different scenes in our heads ... wondering which side he is going to pick.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah. So far, he looks a lot more like Fredo than Michael Corleone.

My thinking is, at the end of the show, he'll be in "the business," and we'll know he is doomed to fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted